Author Topic: ABO techniques, processes and tools.  (Read 93433 times)

Offline iowabow

ABO techniques, processes and tools.
« on: October 05, 2015, 08:35:36 am »
ABO is a shortened version of the word aboriginal. Generally this term refers to an original process and in reference to flint knapping, i.e. without the aid of metal tools. The historical records however contains instances of copper industry during certain periods/regions and in particular the midwest.
I use the term to describe the production of points made with stone, antler, and bone. My personal belief is that if copper was used it would have been in limited supply and trade would not have been predictable. One would need the ABO skills to always make points whether copper was avaliable or not. So ABO was ABO even for the ABO.
After having worked ABO for many years the advantages found with copper become limited as it relates to function. An Arrowhead can be manufactured  in about 10 to 15 minutes ABO. The function of such a point would be equal.  I see no advantage in making functional points for an arrow with copper. In fact a case could be made that using copper would be a pain with all of the abraiding and more time consuming. So with the case if an Arrowhead why use copper. Two reasons come to mind. There is a point when copper can complete a task in one step and ABO has to do it in three. Platform prep is one example. More attention is needed and one has to pick the right path to ABO a platform with ease. Notching and patterning the surface are unique qualities of copper.
So as the copper vs ABO difference is debated I think beauty becomes a factor. So function vs form may have also determined which tool was picked up from the tool kit if it was there.

I will continue this ....

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 08:59:40 am by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Stringman

Re: ABO techniques, processes and tools.
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2015, 12:44:20 pm »
Hold on, I'm getting popcorn!!

Offline turbo

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2015, 07:22:42 pm »
Good thread, I'll add some thoughts if that's ok. After returning from a long knapping hiatus I had to decide whether to use my copper or abo tools. I was mostly an abo knapper before but used copper some, mostly to notch. While I have nothing against using copper I always felt more at home using hammerstones and antler. I've decided to go all abo indefinitely and put my copper tools aside. Currently I'm using a buffalo horn as an indirect punch thanks to Marty Reuter.

I think most copper knappers have an image that abo means crude or 'clunky', but that is perpetuated by limited experience in using abo tools. While copper and modern techniques such as FOG can produce artsy pieces easier (key word), those can be done w/ abo tools once mastered.

Again, I have nothing against using copper and may use it again someday, but being a 'studen't of abo techniques I want to immerse myself w/o distractions or temptations. 

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2015, 09:10:18 pm »
I will start with the simple and move to more complex knapping challenges.
Flake points are the easiest  to manufacture and take the least amount of time. My first suggestion is to remove all thin parts of the flake and this seems to add strength to the work. I then go after the thick part of the stone first because the outcome in these areas will determine  the course you will take with the areas that are already thinned. I would be 98% correct in saying that I never ever hit the flake with antler and only with stone. The reason is the antler tends to snap the point. The stone will not take being hit and I am not entirely  sure why but I have my guesses. I do more of the shaping with the ishi stick and then finish work with the ulna bone. Thinning is done by cutting the stone with the ishi and edges retouched by the ulna. The ulna is used for notches.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 06:52:39 am by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2015, 09:13:34 pm »
I Knapped this tonight for your questions.
The first picture is the flake

Offline iowabow

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2015, 09:14:55 pm »
Now to remove the edges

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2015, 09:16:45 pm »
Thick side become the tip

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:22 pm »
Shaping with the ulna  next

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2015, 09:19:22 pm »
Hold on, I'm getting popcorn!!

Forget that, I am running to invest in popcorn futures!  Remember, he is from Iowa!  This could be a marketing scheme by the state of Iowa to run up corn prices!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2015, 09:20:57 pm »
Refine with ulna

Offline iowabow

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2015, 09:23:31 pm »
Adjust base, remove stack, and then notch with smaller ulna. The larger one did all the shaping.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2015, 09:25:48 pm »
Tomorrow I will cover how to use the tools.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2015, 09:28:45 pm »
This process is super easy and I can safely say produces a point equal in function to copper.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2015, 09:29:57 pm »
Thank you for ringing in turbo

Offline turbo

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »
Thank you for ringing in turbo

My pleasure and thank you for the great thread, hope I didn't hijack. BTW, I'm looking for some deer ulna bones if you have any leads. Look forward to more discussion.