Author Topic: ABO techniques, processes and tools.  (Read 94498 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: ABO techniques, processes and tools.
« Reply #195 on: October 20, 2015, 09:07:46 am »
Forgot to say don't grind edge or it will overshoot the side as you remover the square.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #196 on: October 20, 2015, 09:29:51 am »

The fact that a person can demonstrate drastic overshot flaking, and everything less, with a simple deer tine, is pretty telling.  But, it does not mean that every variable is necessarily exactly the same, in the lesser flaking, even if the process is essentially the same.

I have never seen anyone demonstrate the ability to do that.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #197 on: October 20, 2015, 09:31:50 am »
I control by lightly knapping a bevel on other side.

Bingo!! it has as much to do with the bevel on the edge as anything.

AncientTech

« Reply #198 on: October 20, 2015, 09:42:25 am »
Ben,
Since you claim to have such miraculous control.
When will you post a video that shows you making
10 overshot flakes in a row.
I'll buy the popcorn for everyone.
BTW How many is it you claim you can do in a row off camera?
Zuma :o

Actually, around the time that I reach a point where overshot is possible, I am usually just past the point where coast to coast is possible. 

For example, here are multiple coast to coast removals, followed by an overshot removal:

Three coast to coast removals:

Followed by overshot removal:

Showing distinct signatures of tine-made initiations:

By the way, Zuma, this is Colha chert that knappers recommend cooking for 12-15 hours.  When Don Crabtree visited Belize, he was awestruck by its hardness.  It is super dense.  And, I am working it raw. 

Anyway, I never said that I can make an overshot flake, any place, any time, and anywhere.  I use two overshot technologies.  And, both of them are stage specific.  Early stage hard hammer overshots tend to be failures, while late stage overshot made with tine, tends to run in the same vain as coast to coast flaking, with some slight differences in flaking modifications.  The prep work for an overshot might be slightly different than the prep work for a coast to coast flake.  Since I know about these differences in prep work, I can spot them. 

I think that we should write Congress, and ask them to create a "Respect Native American Flintknapping Day", as a way to show respect for a +13,000 year old tradition.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #199 on: October 20, 2015, 09:53:15 am »
The flake widening (this is when it is not prepared) across a flat surface is equal to a large mass. The increase in total mass to  energy becomes directed down or up relative to energy. The fact that it is near the edge really only clouds the issue. (The following assumes you know how to hold the chert and swing the antler or stone) The mass that the propagated wave and energy encounter are the variables. Therefore changing the energy or the mass produces a given result. This is simple to understand. What you do with this information is the smart guy stuff.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #200 on: October 20, 2015, 09:59:21 am »
that overshot would not have happened if you would have removed the mass on the other side. That delta on the right lower, second flute needed to be address before the platform was hit. there was too much mass for the flake and it dived

Offline iowabow

« Reply #201 on: October 20, 2015, 10:00:38 am »
notice you have extra mass on the terminal end?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #202 on: October 20, 2015, 10:02:57 am »
This is way it takes years for people to learn knapping. We focus on the problem and not on the solution.

AncientTech

« Reply #203 on: October 20, 2015, 10:43:09 am »
The flake widening (this is when it is not prepared) across a flat surface is equal to a large mass. The increase in total mass to  energy becomes directed down or up relative to energy. The fact that it is near the edge really only clouds the issue. (The following assumes you know how to hold the chert and swing the antler or stone) The mass that the propagated wave and energy encounter are the variables. Therefore changing the energy or the mass produces a given result. This is simple to understand. What you do with this information is the smart guy stuff.

There are five physical components involved in the flaking process.  It is the interplay of the components that produces a shift in variables, while the break is forming.  By the time the turn is achieved, some of the variables are no longer the same as when the break was initiated. 

Also, the zone in which the turn occurs is subject to a different set of variables than where the break is initiated from.  The interplay of said components leads to the creation of a final variable, as the flake break reaches the zone where the turn will occur. 

The idea that mass causes a change in energy which leads to a change in direction, is true in some other instances.  But, that is not how I create a controlled overshot with this technology, especially the outrepasse flakes with a large mass on the opposite edge. 

Also, due to the nature of the process, it works far better with evenly grained stone, even if the stone is raw.  It does not always work in the case of stone containing granular concretions, because the granular concretions cause the energy to "scatter", whereas an evenly grained stone is more prone to an even delivery of energy. 

In the case of granular concretions, the energy will scatter, and the break will frequently stop, producing a massive hinge.  So, with this technology, hardness is not so much of an issue as the evenness of the grain. 

Offline StevenT

« Reply #204 on: October 20, 2015, 10:44:53 am »
Hey guys, I have bit my tongue as long as I can. I was really enjoying this post up to the point it got hi-jacked. Iowabow, I compliment you on a post that goes beyond the copper-ABO debate. It WAS and is a very good demonstration of ABO techniques. That is the good. The bad is that the overshoot, impasse or what ever the heck it is called is really muddying the water. I personally would appreciate it if the main two who just cannot leave that bone alone take your back and forth debate to another thread. Call it the Great Impass Debate and have at it. I'm asking pretty please, with a smile and leave this post alone. Thanks.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #205 on: October 20, 2015, 11:13:19 am »
I second that motion.  Please move on  let the overshot debate rest.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline iowabow

« Reply #206 on: October 20, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
Hey guys, I have bit my tongue as long as I can. I was really enjoying this post up to the point it got hi-jacked. Iowabow, I compliment you on a post that goes beyond the copper-ABO debate. It WAS and is a very good demonstration of ABO techniques. That is the good. The bad is that the overshoot, impasse or what ever the heck it is called is really muddying the water. I personally would appreciate it if the main two who just cannot leave that bone alone take your back and forth debate to another thread. Call it the Great Impass Debate and have at it. I'm asking pretty please, with a smile and leave this post alone. Thanks.
Thank you for the complement. I started this thread because someone ask me to explain some antler bone and stone techniques. The thread was an attempt to demonstrate some basic concepts so new kanpper could have a resource for information on best practices. I guess some of the resulting debate clouds the attempt. I will set up a new post to consolidate some of my basic concepts.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #207 on: October 20, 2015, 11:50:34 am »
It's your post. If you move, it would be the wrong one moving.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #208 on: October 20, 2015, 12:06:40 pm »
It's your post. If you move, it would be the wrong one moving.
I agree but maybe......they could stay here for a while

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #209 on: October 20, 2015, 12:09:09 pm »
I agree with Steve. I was enjoying it too until "ground hog day" started again. But, those post are easy to move if it gets real muddy.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?