Author Topic: ABO techniques, processes and tools.  (Read 93226 times)

Offline iowabow

Re: ABO techniques, processes and tools.
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2015, 06:53:16 pm »
Some additional thoughts on the copper vs ABO.  This year at the classic I made my ishi stick from osage and the antler bit. I Knapped at the classic with it and all of the points since. There have been 30 plus point made. In the photo below you can see the wear on the bit from this work. The ulna bone has been the same one I have used since I stated knapping abo and has made upwards of 200. I have one antler that has been worn out and one that is just about done.
When I Knapped with copper I remember making many copper tips because they were consumed at a rather high rate. Copper capped lead filled bopper were consumed quickly as well. I spend many hours making bopper and tips for pressure flakers. As I became better at copper knapping the wear decreased.
I don't think I would be a happy ABO Knapper with that tough Texas flint. Here in Iowa the Burlington cuts like butter. The wear is considerably less.
So I hope my data is correct and must admit that I don't remember anymore how many points I got from a 1/2 inch of copper for the ishi stick. I would be surprised if it was considerably greater.
I think the life span of the  ulna is remarkable. I am not equally impressed with the bopper and extend the life of the antlers by doing more Hammerstone work. The Hammerstone can't be matched for cost and life span. I would be interested in knowing how many points could be made with a half inch copper tip. I would also like to know how many points can be made with a copper capped bopper. I think however Patrick and  I bring a perspectives to the conversation that everyone should understand as respectful and insightful. ABO could be very difficult with some materials and could result in added expense.

One last note. When I worked with copper I spawled with the copper bopper. I do most of that work now with a hammer stone.

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 07:28:51 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2015, 07:11:36 pm »
How is your tip held in place in your ishi stick?
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #32 on: October 07, 2015, 07:24:27 pm »
I often use a wood shaving. This creates a pressure fit.

Offline Bone pile

« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2015, 07:02:21 pm »
stone on stone ,bone one stone, metal on stone, wood on stone, I like to do them all. knapp with bone were the humidity is  darn near %100 all the time is a challenge,but can be done.  my ol' lady's biskits are so hard I do believe they would work in a pinch.

Bone
Venice Florida

Offline iowabow

« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2015, 10:09:30 pm »
stone on stone ,bone one stone, metal on stone, wood on stone, I like to do them all. knapp with bone were the humidity is  darn near %100 all the time is a challenge,but can be done.  my ol' lady's biskits are so hard I do believe they would work in a pinch.

Bone
humidity certainly plays a factor. Mark Boswell ..I think I have his name right anyway I was talking to him at the skunk river knapin about the lodge pole home he built  on his property here in Iowa. He said that everytime it rained the structure had to be repaired because it leaked. The humidity must have been a factor on knapping tools. I have been knapping every morning before work and the hammer stones are wet and the stone is wet. I keep forgetting  to bring everything in.  These conditions make life interesting and frustrating in the pit. Also knapping at day break is pretty cool.
Hmmm hard biscuits knappin with Johnstone could be a new challenge at the classic.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2015, 08:25:54 am »
This morning's preforms before breakfast. In making hundreds of points I feel like I am working as part of a primitive defence department of war. I have decided to punch out the preforms from flakes and then notch and trim in another section. 
While knappin this morning just before day break I had a visitor hang out with me and watched me knap a point. I wished I had my camera so you could have seen this funny racoon. It was very large and walked up to about 5 feet away and just watched as I worked. After completing the point we said our goodbyes and he headed down to this 6 foot in diameter old oak with a nice open knot hole where he sleeps during the day and I headed in for another cup of coffee.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 08:46:43 am by iowabow »

Offline bowmo

« Reply #36 on: October 10, 2015, 09:08:43 am »
Cool thread! We need to knap together again. I wana show you how I deep notch with antler.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #37 on: October 10, 2015, 09:31:08 am »
Cool thread! We need to knap together again. I wana show you how I deep notch with antler.
heck yes I might even drive over

Offline bowmo

« Reply #38 on: October 10, 2015, 10:07:01 am »
Haha. Feel free! Just picked a decent load on stone from Southern Illinois.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #39 on: October 10, 2015, 05:13:35 pm »
Sanora?

Offline bowmo

« Reply #40 on: October 10, 2015, 05:45:47 pm »
Nope. Mill Creek and Kaolin. Some really killer Kaolin this time.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #41 on: October 10, 2015, 07:23:33 pm »
Nice

Offline iowabow

« Reply #42 on: October 10, 2015, 08:29:57 pm »
Well I Knapped sunrise and then at sunset. The hand is getting sore so I stopped

Offline iowabow

« Reply #43 on: October 10, 2015, 09:18:13 pm »
I also Knapped this cool flake knife and gave it to Paul's daughter. They deer  hunted tonight.

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #44 on: October 10, 2015, 10:33:23 pm »
Too cool. How thin do you get your arrowheads? I know a few ABO guys that get them super thin somehow but mine if done ABO end up thicker.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.