Author Topic: center shot flat bow  (Read 15529 times)

Offline James Rodney

Re: center shot flat bow
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 09:40:18 am »
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,35312.0.html
You can use these dimensions just make it 70" overall length

I actually really like this.. and i'm taking all of you guy's words in. And i am listening. I just want to say that.  But i also want to do what i want. but i'll save that for later down the road when i've made at least a dozen bows.   this bow here Bubby, that you linked.. i have a few questions on.. First, he glued two pieces of wood together?  overtime is that a smart thing to do?  because that's really right up there in what i want to do.  i want to layer different color woods into my handle.. I'm a guitar player, and the neck on my guitar has maple, and mahogany fret boards.   what do you guys think? 

and also, i am def going to save the dogwood piece, it's a very hard, hard piece of wood and almost flawless, i'll link a picture of it for you guys to see today.

Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 09:44:25 am »
Then by all means do what you want.  :-\
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 10:00:21 am »
W re all doing what we want. That's why we're here.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 10:27:03 am »
I think you might have taken that the wrong way pappy.  I appreciate all the help and advice.  I'm going to stick to making longer, not center shot bows. what i meant is, i know what i want, just achieving that goal right now isn't possible, maybe later down the road.  Then again, later down the road, i may realize that what i'm saying i want now, will change.   I've already made 2 board bows,  one tiny one. 28 inches long that i recently was told i bent the wrong way, lol.  So, i started another, and instead of heating and bending, i just put a string on it.  and it seems to be doing pretty good!  i'm going to get my little girl to shoot it later today, see what she thinks.

I live in Rock Hill South Carolina. 
Slowly, i stalked her. Watching her every move. Silently moving in for the kill, only to find she was so perfectly tuned to nature i couldn't take the shot. My stomach was growling, yet i couldn't take the shot. My desire to see beauty overpowered my desire to eat.

Offline PatM

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 10:35:03 am »
Are you still at that stage where you believe bows are made already bent or  "carved" that way?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 10:36:27 am »
No problem at all, it just seems what you want isn't possible for you at this early point, you have to crawl before you walk, we get lots here that want to run right off and that is usually filled with disappointment and we certainly don't want that because most just quite and move on. Good luck and keep us posted on how it's going.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 10:42:29 am »
Are you still at that stage where you believe bows are made already bent or  "carved" that way?

NO!  I've done "some" research! lol  I took a piece of oak, got it down to the thickness i wanted, put some olive oil on it, took a heat gun and started wrapping it around a wine bottle.. lol

Offline bubby

« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 11:25:33 am »
James the bow in the build a long is a selfbow the only glued on pc is the handle easy to do with lots of pretty woods you can build backed bows with maple hickory or bamboo backs and bellt wood of contrasting colors but I'd get a fee under your belt before you try that, you are going to love this " hobby "
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline James Rodney

« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 11:37:05 am »
I'm already in love with it to be honest.  I can be stubborn with giving up on stuff.. i won't be satisfied until i've made one that awe's myself. and trust me, when i get a notion in my head.  NO one, can stop  the force!   <<<<<<<10 years later >>>>>>>>

damn it james, why didn't you listen to those guys who were trying to help you!  now all i'm doing is sleeping with bows! Eat bow cereal! Bow soup!

but i'm just trying to make my masterpiece!

blackhawk

« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 11:46:03 am »
Been biting my tongue since this thread started last night.

Dude...get a book...do a LOT of google searching/reading...look at lots of build alongs...pick a SIMPLE plan and then start...if a question pops up then search first..if ya cant find the answer (which im sure it already has been answered before)..then ask. A book needs to be written to answer all your q's(and thank god there is nowadays),and no one here has the time to type out a book like response online. Most replies will be short,sweet,n to the point lacking detail on how to do just what was said. Sooo...go get your hands dirty first then.......START SIMPLE...a 66-70" bend in the handle bow is the easiest to learn. Because anyone with little to no experince can cut out a piece of wood to bow blank dimensions...but that doesnt make a bow. What makes a bow is TILLERING!!! Surprised no one had emphasized this more. Tillering is where a bow is made..or not. And its the hardest thing to learn. After you got a game plan,and especially before you start bending it do some serious searching,reading on how to tiller a wood bow. That is going to be the toughest part hands down.

Offline DC

« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 12:38:16 pm »
One more thing. The search function on this website is not very good. If you want to find something on here go Google. For example if you want tillering examples, enter "tiller primitive archer" or tiller check primitive archer" into Google. Leave out the quotes. It will find way more than the sites search.

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 12:47:25 pm »
the search function works fine if you know how to use it. Want to search bow related things, be in the bow section when you search them. Knapping, in the knapping area.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2015, 12:51:07 pm »
Well, shut my mouth. I've been fighting that for 2 years. Thanks JoJo

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2015, 12:52:06 pm »
Well, shut my mouth. I've been fighting that for 2 years. Thanks JoJo
I just figured it out the other day. I really hated it too, and then one day it worked, so I looked at all the factors that came in line.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2015, 01:22:40 pm »
James, I'm the Pat you talked top on the phone the other night. The one Marc referred you to.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC