Author Topic: what's it worth?  (Read 9972 times)

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: what's it worth?
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 03:49:15 am »
Thanks guys, back on track. ;) :) and by the way Brad, Gil is still a good shot and great guy. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline simson

• stonehill-primitive-bows
    • stonehill-primitive-bows
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 03:41:12 pm »
I often wondered why the hell some guys pay 700 bucks for a f/g bow, made within 6 or 7 hours and otherwise do not want to pay more than 300 for a well made selfbow with 30 hours of work in it.
        >:D >:D >:D
Simon
Bavaria, Germany

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 04:28:04 pm »
Let's face it, most of us would be making bows with or without customers.
The odd one I sell is just icing on the cake.  Some bowyers I highly respect
sell their bows online for less than 400$, and to me that's an honest price.
Even John Strunks bows were around this mark.
I've seen some wood bows, mostly yew, go for over 900$ online, and to me that's a little high.
Don't people know that stuff grows on trees??? ;)

Offline scp

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 10:44:09 pm »
I would rather see many bowyers selling unfinished but quite shootable bows below $100. As soon as their customers realize that they can scrape all wood bows to their taste, they would be hooked.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #49 on: October 10, 2015, 01:27:57 pm »
the wood bows do not have the wide audience or appreciation that the fiberglass bows get,, whatever the reasons,, it is complicated,, but the economy and peoples perception determine what they will pay,, not what the bowyer thinks they should pay  in most cases,, I wouldnt pay much for a fiberglass bow cause I dont want to shoot one,, but I am not representative of that markets buyer,, if I was going to buy a wood bow,, each one is a unique work of art that is functional, I would pay the price the bowyer wanted to get the bow I wanted,, 50 hours times 50 per hour for a highly skilled craft, ,would be 2500,,, reasonable???
I think so,, but most people dont appreciate the skill and time it takes to make a really great beautiful bow,, :)

Offline Badger

« Reply #50 on: October 10, 2015, 03:11:34 pm »
      I guess each bowyer will find different styles easier or harder to build. I find the English Longbows to be the hardest, just because they have such a long bending area and so much area that needs to be worked. I don't think $900.00 for a well tillered war bow from a yew stave would be a high price at all. We have a guy here in So cal who is getting about $1200.00 for a war bow, he does a nice job on them and I imagine he spends some time doing it.