Author Topic: Bamboo Shaft Safety Question  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

Bamboo Shaft Safety Question
« on: October 08, 2015, 11:35:23 am »
Good day all, I have a question that I likely know the answer to but vaguely recall hearing conventional thought was different for bamboo so I thought I'd make sure. I have a set of bamboo arrows and one had the audacity, all upon it's own and against my strict instructions, to fly between the target and the target stand with an embarrassing clatter. I examined it and it seems to have a bit of a lengthwise crack about an inch or two long and just in front of the fletchings. Now my thought is same with any wooden arrow that it's compromised and it's trash, but I seem to recall someone saying something about bamboo arrows being different in this regard. Thoughts?

Offline DC

Re: Bamboo Shaft Safety Question
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2015, 12:22:42 pm »
I'm not going to recommend it but I have a bamboo arrow that split more than half its length, both sides. Two pieces flapping in the breeze. I clamped it back together and ran some CA down the crack. Reattached the point and probably 100 shots later its still in one piece. Like I said I don't recommend it, it's way safer to bust it over your knee. Just sayin'

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2015, 01:11:16 pm »
Yeah, having seen pics of busted arrows impaling bow hands/arms I've busted plenty a wood arrow over the knee for the slightest booger in the wood. I think I'll probably hold the cracked one in reserve and if I lose/break enough without having replenished my supply (I order them from china so it can take time in shipping) I will consider gluing it then to fill the interim. Meantime, in the reject pile it goes, lol.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2015, 01:15:24 pm »
I've repaired cane arrows that split by adding super glue an a wrap above and below the crack. This will change the spine some. That said, now I would probably discard the cracked one and make more.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:44:45 pm by Pat B »
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2015, 08:23:01 pm »
I would NEVER shoot an arrow that has any serious damage to it. Ive been lucky to not have had one bust open in my hand but I have seen plenty of pictures, and don't want that happening to me. I would not recommend shooting an arrow as damaged as the one you described even after a tight wrapping and glue. 
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2015, 10:52:09 pm »
I'm one of the few on here that spent four nights in the hospital for a split on a cedar arrow after it hit a fence. I've also have a Tonkin cane arrow that hit a metal target at the Tenn. Classic and a River Cane arrow that hit an oak tree, both split. I wrapped both with electrician tape for grins and have shot both for over 5 years.
I'd never shoot a cedar arrow or carbon with a crack in it.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2015, 11:42:54 pm »
I would never shoot a damaged wood, aluminum, or carbon arrow unless by accident or if it had been repaired properly which can be done in some cases ( footed, spliced. etc.)  That said I'll try to take a picture of all of my repaired bamboo arrows that I still shoot.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2015, 06:18:51 am »
Not worth the chance to me, especially at the fletching end. JMO. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good