Author Topic: Dry wood  (Read 2553 times)

paleryder

Dry wood
« on: February 12, 2008, 04:11:12 pm »
I have a large number of 1/2" blanks prepared some time ago for making arrows- a long time ago, maybe a year or more. There are several dozen stacked together in three batches, probably 2-3 dozen a batch. One set is of pine and the other two are poplar. I placed them under my couch and they have been there for some time. The airconditioning and heating vent blows underneath my couch. I'm planning on actually using the wood but I'm nervous about its dryness.

Can the wood be too dry? If so, what's the best way to deal with it. Last night I brought the wood upstairs and into our bedroom where the humidifier was running. Yeah, the wife wanted to know what stacks of wood were doing in the bedroom. Well, this morning the humidifier registered about 42% humidity. I know those things are very accurate but it matches another cheap measuring device I put into the room. If it's only 42% after running a humidifier all night, how dry was it elsewhere?! What should I do? My method for making arrows is rounding off the corners and hammering the dowel through a series of holes to get the desired diameter.

Thanks.

Aidan

jamie

Re: Dry wood
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 04:21:37 pm »
. i wouldnt worry about it for shafts . only wood i dont like too dry is doug fir. ive had those explode off the bow.

paleryder

Re: Dry wood
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 10:12:43 pm »
Thanks. I'll keep that in mind if I every try fir. Yikes.