Author Topic: Selfbow buck  (Read 19863 times)

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
Selfbow buck
« on: October 12, 2015, 07:16:30 pm »
I went to my stand Saturday only to find another hunter..

They didn't have their orange and it was youth rifle so they left when I climbed the tree!

I got settled and just before dark a little wreck rack buck came by.  I then heard a buck in front of me rubbing a tree but couldn't see him.  Another buck jumped the fence 40 yards to my right and started making a scrape...

They met and pushed each other around as dark rapidly unveiled.  I saw both of these bucks two days earlier and missed the 150" ten pointer, just shot low..  I got engrossed and waited for the best shot angle and released the arrow!

The bucks separated and the better of the two stopped about 75 yards away, the other one was in a race with death..

I heard where he jumped the fence and waited about 30 minutes..

I found this:

He went over a hill in a thick mess of bush honeysuckle about 300 yards from where I hit him.  I could only drag him his body length without resting on the steep slope..  it took me almost two hours to get him to the truck.  I waited till the next morning for a pic..  I got the kid out of bed to help me unload the buck..  I'm getting too old for this.. lol

The buck had been injured, broken leg and pelvis at some point, likely an auto collision, was 5.5 years old by tooth wear.
My snake bow has been good, KY coffeetree, timber rattler skins, 50# at 28, and taken 3 deer this year.. I have missed 3 nice bucks, but I can't blame that on the bow, just the loose nut behind the handle..

And yes, I'm still shooting carbons... only because I haven't lost them all yet!

Offline Danzn Bar

Re: Selfbow buck
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 09:28:54 pm »
Way to go Joe!!  Still shooting carbons?? .... :-\ :-\...I guess were going to have to get together and make some real arrows (primitive type).  :) ;) Congratulations on the harvest!........ I hope to get my first primitive bow kill in the next three weeks.  I'm sure going to give it my best, hope to post a nice fat doe pic in the next few weeks.  I've got a few weeks off work and going to make the best of them.....
Again congratulations on the nice buck.
Till next time ,
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 09:37:50 pm »
Beautiful buck Joe, he looks like hes very symmetrical. I especially love the pic with your boy,after all that's what its all about. Teaching them what we know and hoping they will make us proud in all aspects of life. Congratulations.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 09:48:29 pm »
That's a great selfbow buck.  You didn't waste any time filling the freezer this year.  I'm guessing you will be bringing back straps to Moontree next year?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 09:54:41 pm »
You ARE da man! What a season, thanx for postin👍
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 10:35:24 pm »
Man thats a real nice buck, your a hunting machine. :)
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 02:27:45 am »
Great pics and deer. Thanks for taking us along. Congrats!

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 02:46:20 am »
He's a dandy!  Congratulations.  Not much trouble with that blood trail, huh?
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 04:17:27 am »
Congrats,very nice deer. :)
  Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline wapiti1997

• Joe Lacefield Wildlife and Nature Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 05:32:04 am »
Yeah Bill, I want to harvest some ash and make some arrows.  I need to rig up a dowel cutter.  I have a couple of POC boards a buddy gave me too..  I have that stave for you whenever you want to get it..

Thanks everyone!  We eat a lot of deer, those 3 will get us through March maybe, a couple more fat does would help.  I can't wait until the kids are big enough to hunt. 

My brother sat in a double ladder with his 9 year old who shot a nice doe with his compound, then my brother killed a doe with his longbow, father/son double, what a memory that would be for a young man!

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 07:44:42 am »
What a beautiful buck, congratulations.

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 08:06:48 am »
Great buck, nice work!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 11:44:00 am »
That bow aint nothin' nice on deer. Nice job!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sockrablur

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 01:56:05 pm »
Beautiful buck and bow :) well done sir!

Offline RyanR

« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 05:14:06 pm »
Nice deer. I would like to see some pictures of the grip on that bow. It looks kinda fancy.