Author Topic: STONE KILLS  (Read 30484 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: STONE KILLS
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 07:52:14 pm »
Congrats man, aside from the perfect shot and kill staying with it is comendable. As Scott said, you have set yourself apart from 99% of hunters...awesome!

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #16 on: October 14, 2015, 08:06:55 pm »
Congrats Don, you have just became a member of a very small club.Bob

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2015, 08:39:26 pm »
   Thank you guys for all the kind comments, it really adds to everything  ;)
                                                                                                                                         Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2015, 09:31:14 pm »
This puts you in a pretty special subcategory of primitive archer.  You got some serious street....no, make that cave cred.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2015, 02:35:57 am »
Congratulations Don.  Great shooting.  That is a hell of an accomplishment.  That is one hunt that you will never forget my friend. 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline rps3

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2015, 01:08:30 pm »
Congrats to you. I have a hard time being in the woods at that hour, I bet I am missing many opportunities.

Offline hunterbob

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2015, 11:18:22 pm »
Good jod Don. That is a great feeling I bet.

Offline Stixnstones

« Reply #22 on: October 17, 2015, 08:54:39 am »
congrats! great shot
DevilsBeachSelfbows

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2015, 09:52:53 am »
  Thanks for the comments guys, means a lot...

JW, I need all the cave credit I can get man, LOL...
     Howard, glad to hear from you Sir...Good hunting this upcoming week...
     Thanks Bob and Stix for check'n in...
     rps3, I felt the same way until I started seeing a lot of deer between 10:30 AM-3:00 PM, now I won't hesitate especially during the upcoming rut. I haven't heard much mentioned about solunar charts here but when it calls for a mid day hunt I am there...Been hunting for about 35yrs and the hunt that started me was a so called solunar chart 1:00PM hunt around 10 yrs ago...As I was pulling my bow up a tree a doe and 2 fawns came trotting in to feed on acorns around 12:45PM, they seemed highly entertained watching my spinning bow! :o
                                                                                                                               Don

Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2015, 02:48:41 pm »
great shot,, congrats :)

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 09:32:08 pm »
  That is awesome, very nicely done. I have to know how much penetration did you get? I ask because that kind of setup really interests me.

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 08:21:16 am »
Arrowbuster,
                    As far as penetration goes there was no problem...The bow is around 57lbs.@ 26" arrow weight was around 600+grains...I had total penetration at 18 yds...cut ribs on both sides...
                    The fletching stayed in the deer's cavity...Probably perfect arrow flight is the one most important factor to achieve penetration, you want that shaft driving straight behind the head, any wobbling and you have problems...Strive for good arrow flight with your set up...
                    Attached are entry and exit wound pictures... The right stone point will cut a devastating channel!
                     First picture is entry back a little but second shows the exit angle towards the front...
                                                                                                                                                Don

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 11:07:44 am »
Don,  than you for the reply. I'd say you can't ask for any more than that. From those pics it appears your head performed great. So the next question I have, is it still sharp?

Offline PeteC

« Reply #28 on: October 23, 2015, 12:19:46 pm »
Nice doe ,and hunt, with all your "self" tackle. Good job. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #29 on: October 23, 2015, 04:23:46 pm »
  Brad and Pete, thank you for the comments... ;)
   Arrowbuster, the point wasn't damaged and is still sharp sir, the tip and all the micro edges are still intact...
                                                                                                                                          Don