Author Topic: Making primitive wood arrows  (Read 4522 times)

Offline 89JeepYJ

Making primitive wood arrows
« on: October 21, 2015, 04:14:07 pm »
My goal is to make primitive wood arrows using nothing but primitive tools and supplies. I have various types of flint, antler flint knapping tools, hide glue, back sinew, turkey feathers, and a block of sandstone. Now I didn't actually collect these straight from the source (except the sandstone) but this is the best I can do for now.

I have enough flint to make many arrowheads and stone tools, I believe I might need a primitive arrow straighting tool, which I'll probably make wood using some tools.

I'm stuck on collecting the wood for the shafts. I've made a couple of primitive arrows before, but I always seem to have a hard time finding decent wood for arrow shafts. I live in south central Ohio, so plenty of choices for arrow shafts. Going to find the wood tomorrow, and hopefully I'll come back with a good selection.

Offline Ed Brooks

Re: Making primitive wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015, 04:21:51 pm »
Cut extra shafts, because; if you end up doing like I do anyway. I go cut them and after drying and taking the bark off, I end up tossing more than I use :(. I don't see pitch glue on your list, let me know if you need some, I made extra this go around. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Tracker0721

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2015, 04:27:16 pm »
Not only could some shafts end up trashed but I've got almost a hundred shafts that'll be ready for sorting through next year. And the stock pile will continue growing. I could use a shoot per shot and last all hunting season.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2015, 04:29:36 pm »
There should be river cane there. Makes good primitive arrows.

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2015, 04:56:15 pm »
Cut extra shafts, because; if you end up doing like I do anyway. I go cut them and after drying and taking the bark off, I end up tossing more than I use :(. I don't see pitch glue on your list, let me know if you need some, I made extra this go around. Ed

You're right, I don't have pitch glue, what's the best use for it? I've never used pitch glue before. I don't plan on making these arrows soon, I'll be busy making various stone tools during the time I wait for the wood to season. I'm hoping to at least make one primitive arrow before Christmas, as a gift to my dad.

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2015, 04:57:40 pm »
There is rivercane here, a bit far from where I live, but if I'm ever around the area I will collect some.

Offline Ed Brooks

« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2015, 05:20:46 pm »
89, I use pitch glue to mount the point before the sinew. If you'd like some PM me your mailing address. Ed
It's in my blood...

Centralia WA,

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2015, 10:08:55 am »

part of my arrow making tools. My first all stone tool arrow. Black hauwh  shaft from Georgia.
I made the simple head. Sinew , glue, 2 two fletch not glued down.

Dog

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2015, 10:10:49 am »

knock cut in with serrated flint chip

Dog

Offline Chief RID

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2015, 07:05:30 am »
This should be a good tool for me, this thread I mean. Gathering info and materials. I have a few shafts drying. The great flood a couple weeks ago washed out some of my supply of river cane. I usually gather later in the fall but had to go ahead and gather some last week. Pickings were slim. I will be monitoring the thread. Thanks for starting it.

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2015, 11:02:39 am »
nice! knap yourself a point, thats a little bigger than the shafts youll use. mount it on a shaft. make a bow drill bow and a hand protector/bearing block and drill yourself a hole in whatever wood you want as a arrow sizer,bending tool. i drilled a pretty perfect hole in a atlatl thrower i made that im using for a arrow wrench as of this time doing this.Tony

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 12:16:50 am »
Riverrat, that's an excellent idea, I never thought of that. I have collected several shafts, I've just been doing some knapping since then however.

Offline 89JeepYJ

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 12:25:30 am »
This should be a good tool for me, this thread I mean. Gathering info and materials. I have a few shafts drying. The great flood a couple weeks ago washed out some of my supply of river cane. I usually gather later in the fall but had to go ahead and gather some last week. Pickings were slim. I will be monitoring the thread. Thanks for starting it.

I will try to keep this updated, and post pictures of my progress. I'm going to start on at least one shaft, I won't be entirely concerned about it drying because it's going to be a gift as a replica arrow and will not be shot at all. The rest of the arrows I make will be used differently.