Author Topic: Dream Come True  (Read 39196 times)

Offline Danzn Bar

Dream Come True
« on: October 24, 2015, 02:39:46 pm »
My first primitive bow and arrow kill came the second day (Oct 18th) of early muzzleloading season in Kentucky. Had my 86 yr old father-in-law out with me and I got lucky that weekend.  Found a real good spot Saturday with some fresh sign and two trails about 30 yards apart.  I set up real early Sunday morning between the two trails on the ground with my back up against a big tree.  About 2 hours after sun up a doe came up the trail behind me on my right.  Being right handed I had no chance for a shot and I was up wind from her.  After she pasted I was thinking it would have been perfect if she would have walked up the left hand trail.  And about 20 minutes later I here something behind me on my left.  I notice a big tree with a nice opening in front of it on the trail in front of her.  She moved down the trail behind the tree, I moved as she pasted the tree and the opening, everything happened at the same time, me drawing the bow and the deer appearing in the opening.  I let the arrow fly.  My primitive alumina-nocks (feather tracers) showed me I had hit her low and right behind the front leg elbow.  I think it was a good shot, but I almost missed her.  I watched her and the feather tracers bounce up the hill about 30yds and out of sight.  Then I heard her stop running about maybe 50 yds away....then I here a thump and some leaves russelling, then silence.  I waited the longest 45 minutes of my life and then went over to where I shot the deer and found a little blood trail, I followed the trail until I though I had heard her stop.  That is where I found my arrow laying on the ground all bloody.  and 20 yds further up the trail was my deer. I have killed a lot of deer in past, but this was like my first!!!  I was so excited......my heart was pounding out of my chest....

Osage selfbow with cane arrow and a stone point.........I want to thank TRACY for the stone point, it did the job......here are just a few pics.   
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 02:44:35 pm by Danzn Bar »
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline Tracker0721

Re: Dream Come True
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 03:50:06 pm »
That's too cool! Glad it all came together for ya!
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short. Amen.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 04:31:56 pm »
Nice,and looks like that arrow is ready for another. Bob

Offline rps3

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 05:14:31 pm »
That is outstanding. Congratulations.

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 06:11:18 pm »
Way to get it done, Congrats!!!  I love the skinned bow  also. It looks like those stone points are very lethal I cant wait to give them a try. Where you be at in Kentuck Bar????

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 06:23:24 pm »
I especially like and forgot to mention in last post that you done it from the ground, truly outstanding. Ive been hunting off the ground some the last few years it really does add another level of excitement to the hunt. I have not been able to connect although I have missed a few. They keep sidestepping my arrow.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 06:26:34 pm »
Congratulations, Bill!! Must have been great thrill for ya.
And ya told the story good. Though it woulda been sooo much better to hear it face to face. You'll have to tell it again at Marshall.
Again, congrats!!!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 06:43:47 pm »
Thanks, Mike !!
It was a great experience..................There's more to the story .......I'll see ya at Marshall next year...........
DBar

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 06:45:47 pm »
Arrowbuster.....
My home base is Louisville.......where are you????

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 08:11:25 pm »
Congrats very cool setup you did that with Bill! You know I'll be all ears at Marshall next year to hear that story once again

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 08:15:18 pm »
Paul....
I sure hope you have a similar experience soon . .... good luck to you my friend....
DBar

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2015, 08:15:43 pm »
Nice! Hope you get another.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2015, 08:16:54 pm »
Awesome way to make meat! Congrats
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Arrowbuster

« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2015, 08:18:24 pm »
I am in Etown D Bar

Offline burchett.donald

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2015, 08:50:28 pm »
  Nice shot and congrats DBar!!! Glad your dream came true...Love your tackle also...It all happens so fast off the ground doesn't it...Your still living in the fast lane... 8)
                                                                                                                                          Don
Genesis 27:3 Now therefore take, I pray thee, thy weapons, thy quiver and thy bow, and go out to the field, and take me some venison;