Author Topic: My First Bow  (Read 4203 times)

Offline Siyah Later

My First Bow
« on: October 27, 2015, 08:58:18 am »
Hello everyone,

I've been reading this forum for a while and thought I'd finally post my first bow.  I'd been thinking about making a bow for about a year and at the end of the summer I finally went for it.  It was a lot of fun, and I learned a lot of things and improved my woodworking skills.  The bow is 35# at 28", and is 72" tip to tip.  It's made from a maple board, and has an oak handle and tip overlays.  I backed it with brown paper for a little bit of extra security and because I thought it would look nice.  I tried to make everything for the bow myself, including the string, a bow stringer, a tillering stick, a tillering gizmo, a serving tool, a fletching jig, and the arrows.  Needless to say it kept me pretty busy! 

I wrote up a bit of a build along on my blog, which shares my experiences and has lots of pictures of the process.  You can have a look at it here: http://diydudes.com/building-a-longbow/

The tiller isn't perfect, but I can't see any fatal flaws.  In the braced photo, the right limb seems to bend a bit more in the outer region than the left limb.  The bow also might be a bit stiff at the tips in general.  I'd be happy to have any opinions or advice.

Making bows is extremely addicting, the evidence of this being that I had a second bow tillered and ready to shoot before I ever shot my first one.  The second bow has way thinner tips, and I think it's quite a bit nicer to shoot.  Overall I am quite happy with how this bow turned out, and look forward to many more!

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: My First Bow
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:15:39 am »
It just ain't fair, you new guys making bow that are perfectly tillered and look spectacular. 20 years ago my first bow looked like I hacked it out with a broad ax and tillered it with a chainsaw.

All kidding aside, you made a very fine bow, great job!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 09:17:31 am »
Looks like your research paid off. Very nice bow and spectacular for your first. I'm in the same boat as Eric.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline smoke

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2015, 09:18:43 am »
Nice work!

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 09:38:53 am »
Tiller looks mighty fine to me!
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline 1442

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 09:43:58 am »
Good start with a real nice bow or two.
Very creative screen name too.
Welcome

Offline ajbruggink

• Aaron Bruggink, Oostburg, WI, USA
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2015, 10:28:38 am »
It just ain't fair, you new guys making bow that are perfectly tillered and look spectacular. 20 years ago my first bow looked like I hacked it out with a broad ax and tillered it with a chainsaw.

All kidding aside, you made a very fine bow, great job!
Looks like your research paid off. Very nice bow and spectacular for your first. I'm in the same boat as Eric.
I'm in the same boat as these guys, I'm on my fourth and none look as good as yours. Good job!

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2015, 12:58:09 pm »
Very nice! I'm with you, half the fun is making all the jigs and tools. Or maybe I'm just too cheap to buy them :-[

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2015, 01:41:01 pm »
Yup, welcome to the addiction.
No shortage of things to make, fletching jigs, string making jigs, tapering planer, tools to drill conical holes in horn for nocks...
I even bought and refurbished a small lathe so I can make flight arrow points :)
Making stuff is fun, I just wish more people realised it instead of waving money at everything.
Theres a woman at work who knits stuff, I'm swapping a bottle of home made cider for a knitted snowman ready for the festive season :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2015, 01:43:53 pm »
Great job on your first!

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:16 pm »
very nice congrats :)

Offline ekalavya

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2015, 03:28:22 pm »
cool ...
which pattern had the board ... i mean the rings where standing or lying....

maybe you would like to post a picture of the board too ...

unfortunately, when i want maple i gonna get to the woods and cut one and then
wait for drying ...

Offline Parnell

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2015, 05:08:10 pm »
Congratulations on your first.  Well done.
1’—>1’

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2015, 05:29:36 pm »
Looks Great!!!!
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2015, 09:38:19 pm »
I really admire your bow and workmanship!
I love it when a plan B comes together....