Author Topic: Privet Sapling UPDATE  (Read 6863 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Re: Privet Sapling opinions
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 08:54:21 pm »
Iv narrowed the last 12" to tips on each limb.  Its cut to 64" or 66" i cant remember lol.  I  scraped the back with my drawknife then worked around the 14 pin knots with a cabinet scraper.  I circled all in pencil to make sure i dont lose sight of them.  Do you guys think i should put super glue on the pin knots that have a very small hole in them?  The limb has an additional 14 or so pin knots on the sides.  These may or may not be removed during tillering.  Do I need to be worried about any pin knots on the sides
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 09:20:29 pm »
CherokeeKC, it looks like you are doing a nice careful job. I'm enjoying reading and seeing your progress. :)

Also, that little drawknife looks very cool. Looks like some rod bent and welded to a blade. Did you make that?
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 10:50:59 pm »
Thanks.  Im wondering if bow will hold together with all the pin knots.  We will see.  One reason Im "taking my time" is i have 3 young boys and I have been on backshift for 2 weeks so has been a little hectic haha.
The drawknife is a planer blade brazed to metal handles.  An older guy that gave me my first bow making lesson sells a few at primitive skills gathering we have twice a year.  I think he only made 3-4tho.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 10:51:17 pm »
thats looking good,,  :)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Privet Sapling UPDATE
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2015, 07:52:09 am »
Maybe keep some sinew wrapping material around for those pins.Might not ever need them though.Osage most times holds together but that's osage.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:33 am »
I didn't worry about'em at all, maybe superglue them
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 07:12:07 pm »
Thanks guys.  Ok i may put a little super glue in them. Wont hurt anyway.  Im not sure i am all the way to the wood on yhe back.  There is still a brownish tint to it.  It isnt bright white like where i narrowed the tips.  I was scared of going too deep haha.  Maybe i was through phloem but not through cambium?  This pic isnt the best because of the lighting but the difference in color is more than what pic portrays.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bubby

« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2015, 07:29:36 pm »
It should be white white

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2015, 01:28:07 am »
Do you think it will have any negative effect leaving it like it is?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2015, 08:41:57 am »
I know some guys leave a little cambium for a camo effect

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2015, 12:06:56 pm »
So i have worked the limbs down more with farriers rasp and slimmed the last 12 inches of each limb.  Its bending now.  When do you guys put it on the long string?  Does anyone think any of the knots near edges of limb below are a problem(the last pic of knots is the one that really worries me)?  Also I have read before linear cracks are ok so i shouldnt have to worry about this crack (last pic)? 
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2015, 12:47:02 pm »
Radius those edges i don't think I'd worry about those knots, get it bending about eight inches at floor tiller you can check the bend in a window or a mirror , get it bending even then put it on a string just long enough that you can get the string in the nocks

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2015, 07:06:15 pm »
Ok will do bubby.  I didnt intend to narrow the tips that far into the limb but oh well. 
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2015, 07:41:01 pm »
  So, the knots are a concern,. but not a huge one.  i have done several different woods that are all knotty like that and it works itself out, kinda.

The small diameter of the stave allows the crown to take so much more of the tension strain than the rest of the stick, that as long as you don't just level over knots on the back and off to the sides of the crown and violate the grain, it is fine and just goes around them.

On small diameter wood like that, i just work around knots toward the tips where you are narrowing the bow, leaving the grain intact, and widening the limb slightly as you follow grain around the knots.  Little side bumps here and there.  This is perfect if they run diagonally from inside the branch to the open back, or from inside to exposed belly.  Just leave a little extra wood width.

Knots and pins that extend straight across the belly, leaving a weak spot are a bigger problem, but they only exist on one side of the limb.  If they make a shallow groove or knot I file them out and blend the groove into the rest of the limb. Leave the opposite (left/right) side (bow upright, looking at the belly) just like it is.  So, the limbs stay the same net thickness, they just take a little rollercoaster dip in and back on one side of the belly.  You will have a few of these, sort of alternating side to side.