Author Topic: Best wood for bamboo  (Read 9738 times)

Offline alwayslookin

Best wood for bamboo
« on: October 29, 2015, 09:47:58 am »
Been tinkering the idea of making a bamboo backed bow. My question is since bamboo can overpower wood. In yalls experience what wood best suits being backed with bamboo?
In all your ways acknowledge  him and he will make your paths straight.

Offline PatM

Re: Best wood for bamboo
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2015, 09:58:45 am »
 Ipe.

Offline Aries

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2015, 10:00:54 am »
I usually see bamboo ideally matched with high compression strength woods like ipe and osage (that's what I would use) however I also think that trapping the back of a bamboo bow when matched with a weaker belly wood can remedy this problem.
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2015, 10:32:20 am »
My favorite is yew by far. Only because its light and quick to handle and shoot. Yew, osage or Ipe are your best bet. I wont trap a boo back, just my opinion.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2015, 10:42:16 am »
So I could probably getting away Osage slats then huh? I don't know where to ipe.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 10:45:48 am »
I highly suggest them for a bomb proof, no breaking type bow when done right. Unless your into explosions? :)

With any belly wood, grain matters. Get the cleanest most straight osage grain you can find. Couple that with good sturdy, dry boo and you have one hell of a good combo.

Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 10:49:25 am »
I highly suggest them for a bomb proof, no breaking type bow when done right. Unless your into explosions? :)

With any belly wood, grain matters. Get the cleanest most straight osage grain you can find. Couple that with good sturdy, dry boo and you have one hell of a good combo.
haha I don't mind explosions as long as they aren't bows. Thanks for the help pearl. You know where I can get any Osage slats?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2015, 10:53:16 am »
Mike Yancey at Pine Hollow in Arkansas. Cheap and he knows what you want. My buddy Roy just ordered some and was very happy. BBO bow is all he builds, so he knows osage slats.

Offline alwayslookin

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2015, 11:00:18 am »
Awesome thanks man.

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2015, 11:31:37 am »
Bamboo overpowers bellies for the same reasons intact wood backs overpower bellies. It is very strong in tension, but so are most bow woods anyway, like the intact back of a hickory, elm, maple, or mulberry sapling.  Designed  has a lot to do with it.  Thinning and trapping the boo pretty far on a lighter wood is a good idea.

So you can use a lot of woods.  I have made a LOT of bamboo backed bows with the bamboo flooring, and woods as light as red mulberry heartwood, plum, black locust, jatoba, etc.  Also, had good success with very elastic woods in compression like yew heartwood, ERC, and juniper.

BUT, I definitely think you'll be better served pairing it with a high quality dense wood.  Osage orange is fantastic, and ipe and massaranduba just as good or better.  Brazilwood was pretty good, too.

Offline bubby

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2015, 02:42:56 pm »
I'm pretty sure some boo backed hickory set some flight bow records, I'm not sure how its gonna work but i have a boo backed bl walnut to full brace right now
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2015, 03:22:14 pm »
Like to see that one bubby. I have an excess of BW and an extra bamboo backing in my shop.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2015, 05:19:33 pm »
Ipe
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline bubby

« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2015, 06:56:59 pm »

Here it is right now fred still lots to do
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline KS51

« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2015, 08:07:59 pm »
Here are an Ipe, an Osage, and a Bloodwood bow.  All are backed with Boo.  I've also done Hickory, but I trap those (3:4 ratio).

Ken