Author Topic: need advice...is this crack irreparable?  (Read 3379 times)

Offline bradsmith2010

Re: need advice...is this crack irreparable?
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 02:00:42 pm »
just wash the cooking oil off with hot water and soap

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 02:11:11 pm »
That's what I do, Brad. I use Dawn dish soap and warm water to wash and rinse with boiling water. That's how I prep for sinew backing too.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline richardzane

• active Wyandot tribal member
    • richardzanesmith.wordpress.com
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 07:09:40 pm »
next one I'll definitely give that dish soap a try!
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2015, 12:00:29 am »
This stave showed some checking on the side before i started a bow. The picture shows what happened when I applied sinew, the bow pulled apart as the sinew dried, weak wood for sure.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2015, 12:18:04 am »
I have to say I would not be able to trust that bow, even if I got it shooting. Happy to have you prove me wrong.  :)

Offline richardzane

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2015, 09:15:27 am »
now its kind of a challenge.  >:D
I dripped super glue down the crack and scraped that edge till there's barely a detectable crack line at all showing.
for osage it needed thinning down anyway... been so used to making flatter wider fade bows,
but i've set it aside to cure for awhile and dry through...i'll let y'all know when(or if) i get her flinging arrows
when i'm working on things my ancestors worked, singing the songs my ancestors sang, dancing the same dances, speaking the same language, only then  I feel connected to the land, THIS land, where my ancestors walked for thousands of years...

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2015, 09:53:25 am »
If that crack developed while using dry heat then it is a moisture issue.  I have had that happen to me several times when shaping blanks that were too thick for making Warbows, primarily when using HHB.  I believe what happens is that moisture inside the wood gets pushed ahead of the heat-gun making the wood swell to the point of it splitting on the sides.  I've never had a bow fail from this.  Unless you are making a Warbow then you should thin the wood before using dry heat.  If you are making a Warbow then the only solution I have found is to do the heat-treating/shaping in short sections letting the wood rest for a day or more in between
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline richardzane

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2015, 10:15:38 am »
Thanks Marc
I'm thinkn that's exactly what it was...moisture deep inside the stave being heat-forced out , finding the weakest ring available to exit.

Offline bradsmith2010

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2015, 01:50:52 pm »
if Marc has not had a failure,,,, then I would be encouraged to proceed and see if I could get the bow to shoot,,if you are worried then maybe make the bow a little lighter,,, but I definitely think it is worth a try,,  :)

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2015, 02:42:34 pm »
   I know I'm late here, but the only times I had cracks that looked like that were when I got too aggressive trying to take twists or lateral wobbles out of staves and left them too thick.   So, torsion.  I mentioned because I see a raised knot in the pic just left of the crack, and near the clamp.

I had this really cool BL stave like that once with side to side wobbles, like banked hairpin curves on a motorcycle track.  Well one went right through the handle, so the faces of the limbs right off the fades were about 10-15 degrees off of parallel.   I cranked them around a lot on a form and tried to cook them in place with the heatgun, but immediately a crack like that opened on the top fade on one side, and the bottom fade on the other.  Ruined it.

Offline richardzane

« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2015, 10:16:44 pm »
yeah, I've had mixed luck with Black Locust for that very reason
and some of the dark grain rings just seem to open up but my experience with BL is little.
...we'll see how this one holds up after i let it cure a while !