Author Topic: squirrel soup  (Read 8095 times)

riverrat

squirrel soup
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:00:57 am »
sometimes you get a small squirrel. not much meat huh? well, if you pressure cook it theres quite a bit if you take the time to pull it from the bones. if you run the liquid from the pot through a screen into another pot you now have a broth. add that squirrel meat, a glove of garlic chopped thin, chopped onions, celery, carrots, salt and pepper. i like a couple dashes of tabasco and a little chicken bullion. let cook over low heat untill veggies are cooked. then ad noodles. tell all them non wild game eating people in your house its "chicken soup" and watch as the pot disapiers. then.....tell them about your squirrel soup  :o . Tony

Offline bubby

Re: squirrel soup
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 08:48:37 am »
Your making me hungry tony sounds great
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 09:23:10 am »
We used to go on a camping squirrel hunt and carry a small pot with dehydrated corn,peas and carrots. The squirrels were first cooked on a stick over the fire then pulled from the bone and added to the soup that also had chicken or beef boullion. Let it slow cook on the fire for a few hours and dig in!
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 05:08:08 pm »
Sounds good! What are you straining out from the pressure cooker liquid?
Trevor

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 05:13:48 pm »
Sounds good, you have inspired me to get a few squirrels and try it..... :)
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline chamookman

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 05:06:09 am »
Sounds good to Me. Love Me some Tree Rat ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline neuse

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2015, 07:24:37 am »
I had my first expeirence with a squirell a couple of weeks ago.
Homemade nutter thing on the end of POC arrow I made.

That squirell was pretty darn hard to skin and the meat was quite tough and hard to tear away from the bone.
I boiled him for almost an hour, then put him on the grill.

Do ya'll discard the male squirells due this toughness?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2015, 04:48:55 pm »

Squirrel skin is very tough!  But I have never had tough squirrel meat.  How did you cook it?  Cook it slow.  My Mother would make squirrel and dumplings.  Sometimes, she would just use cream of chicken, and flour dumplings, and the squirrel, and onions, garlic, and salt and pepper.  But there was never any left.  I don't use bullion, as it is all chemicals, and some don't even have any chicken, or beef, at all.  I just use organic, broth, or make my own.  Just try the squirrel and dumplings, and you'll love it.  Make your dumplings, how you like them.  Just don't try to cook the squirrel to fast, just like making a bow, slow and easy.  She would also fry them, and that was good, but the squirrel and dumplings were my favorite.

Wayne

Offline jayman448

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2015, 05:19:46 pm »
Are squirrels ok to eat? No one worries about diseases?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2015, 11:47:32 pm »
Jayman, you'd be surprised how many folks eat squirrel. Some folks would rather hunt squirrels than deer.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 08:43:23 am »
Don't know of any Jayman, but now that you mentioned it that may be what's wrong with me,  ??? ate to many squirrel's in my life. ;) As far as tough we most time par boil them until the meat almost falls off and they are never tough even the big fox and male greys. That recipe sounds very good riverrat. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

riverrat

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2016, 08:07:57 pm »
i use a pressure cooker for squirrel if im making soup. i dont think ive ever had a tough one though. most times its on the grill or in the oven. ive been thinking on if i could make squirrel jerkey? there was a comment about what was i straining? i pull the squirrel apart on a plate the juice is left in the pressure cooker. theres a scum of sorts on the sides? i dont know what its realy called, just like boiling meat in a pot you have that frothy stuff on top. any how i strain it so thats not in my broth.then i cook it down, and down, and down lol.Tony

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2016, 08:48:15 pm »
Sounds like you've done it.........
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking