Author Topic: ABO Knapping Childs Board.  (Read 7471 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
ABO Knapping Childs Board.
« on: October 30, 2015, 12:36:37 pm »
 Who would be in favor of an ABO(or whatever you want to call it) Childs Board?  Lets hear what you guys think.
FYI, if you don't know, a childs board is a separate sub-topic board like "flight bows" is to "Bows".
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bowmo

Re: ABO Knapping Childs Board.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 12:44:37 pm »
second

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 12:48:14 pm »
I don't have a dog in this fight, but my thought is that because we don't know enough about Abo to classify one or another tool or technique it is kinda pointless.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 12:50:54 pm »
Joe, the knappers seem to know the difference and rules can be set at the beginning sort of like James Parker did for the "horn Bows" thread.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline turbo

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2015, 12:56:10 pm »
It's probably a good idea from an organizational standpoint, it's much easier for users to search topics of interest when there are specific forums. I know other forums have similar 'child boards'.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2015, 01:04:17 pm »
I'm all for a separate child board Pat.  Josh

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2015, 01:04:41 pm »
It's probably a good idea from an organizational standpoint, it's much easier for users to search topics of interest when there are specific forums. I know other forums have similar 'child boards'.
Second
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Spotted Dog

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 01:20:31 pm »
I'm in for it. I want to learn all I can about it.

Dog
A three strand cord is not easily broken. Ecc.4:12

Offline Trapper Rob

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 01:48:04 pm »
I think it would be a good idea Pat.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2015, 02:02:19 pm »
I have often thought there needs to be two boards. I don't particularly like the term ABO even though I know it is widely accepted in the flint knapping community. Tough to come up with two names that wouldn't spark a big debate. But I do like Natural Flintnapping in place of ABO. But regardless, I do think two different boards is a good idea.

Offline le0n

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2015, 02:16:46 pm »
Second

^^ [thumbs up]

here's a suggestion (i know it's off-topic):
on another forum i mod for, if someone's posts go off-topic we delete said posts to keep the thread clean and on track.

sure, it's more work for the moderators, but it supports the intent of original author/s and helps the thread succeed as an information source.

a simple disclaimer is put on the first post of the thread: Off-topic posts will be deleted.

we've found that having the disclaimer alone is an effective deterrent.

if someone chooses to waste their time typing something that will be deleted, that's entirely up to them. also, the author of the thread will have to help control the content as well, e.g., notifying a moderator when a post needs to be deleted. when the discussion comes to a conclusion, the thread can be locked so that no one has to moderate it.

at least the original author/s and participants efforts will not be wasted.

i understand that the mods cannot provide this service to every single thread that is started on PA, but there are some threads that need to stay alive for the continued health of this forum as a whole.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2015, 02:27:14 pm »
I don't frequent the thread enough to keep up. A few other Mods do but we all have a lot to look over each day...and it is secondary to what we do in our regular lives. We try to keep everyone in line(like herding cats) and do what we have to when we have to.  ;)
 Looks like a positive reply so far on this childs board matter. Don't know what we'll call it but we will consider everyone's opinions.

Offline Zuma

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2015, 02:57:17 pm »
Great idea :)
It's a shame a more adult tag couldn't be attached :laugh:
Welcome back Iowa :)
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2015, 03:29:48 pm »
Suggestions are always appreciated.

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2015, 03:40:04 pm »
I like the idea but why does it have to be a child's board. Just make it another Forum or call it a sub- forum. The very term child's is confusing and I think makes it sound less than or secondary to the other.