Author Topic: ABO Knapping Childs Board.  (Read 7470 times)

Offline le0n

Re: ABO Knapping Childs Board.
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2015, 03:51:28 pm »
I like the idea but why does it have to be a child's board. Just make it another Forum or call it a sub- forum. The very term child's is confusing and I think makes it sound less than or secondary to the other.

"child" will not be in the title of the board, this is only a technical term for the hierarchical placement on the web forum.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2015, 04:52:01 pm »
Its always been called a childs board. I don't know why...but I'm not offended by it. Its only a website.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline bubby

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »
Don't know why anyone cares about being called a child all we do it play with sticks and rocks
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2015, 04:59:43 pm »
Not offended just never heard the term before coming here. Confused me the first time I saw it cause I could
Not find any children in the photo boards.

Offline StevenT

« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 05:08:30 pm »
I was confused by the child term myself. After I looked at the Bow forum, I understood what it meant though.

If I might offer another suggestion for what to call it (and I think this is PC, if not throw a rock at me)... but as a tribute to our forefathers, could it be called "Native FlintKnapping." The qualifier would be knapping using tools that were available to native Americans. Just a thought.

Offline bubby

« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2015, 05:38:41 pm »
Isn't the pretty mucg accepted term abo no use reinventing the wheel
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2015, 05:48:17 pm »
Yes, please.

Keith

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2015, 06:04:46 pm »
Not to be difficult but isnt the forum "flintknapping"...pretty general term....if you move ABO Knapping to another area will that mean that copper knapping techniques are only discussed in the "Flintknapping" forum? I realize some issues developed recently while discussing ABO techniques but I think we have all learned something and can continue under one title "Flintknapping". I for one enjoy all the different techniques and lessons given..

But if you want the Childs Board I am good with that also!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 06:09:59 pm by nclonghunter »
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Ghost Knapper

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2015, 06:33:48 pm »
I prefer one "Flintknapping Forum" to me if you segregate "Abo" into a childs board, what happens when a discussion about raw vs cooked material gets a little heated? To me the solution is keeping posts on topic with the original intent of the poster. Any grave deviation from the original topic/intent should be steered back towards that purpose.

I view this site as a "recreational" type forum, sure if this was purely academic then having a separate location for separate techniques/tools could be warranted.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2015, 06:38:47 pm »
Separating the two doesn't mean that you are eliminated from one or the other. You will be accepted at either or both. We are just trying to show the difference between the two techniques...and its not gonna be just about North American knapping.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

PeteDavis

« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2015, 06:43:53 pm »

That's how they do it at Paleoplanet.

Offline Tower

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2015, 06:47:22 pm »
Honestly, I liked the way it was. I enjoyed looking at everything together.   If folks want to separate it , well....... I guess that's the way it will be.  Knap On my compadres!!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Stringman

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2015, 06:50:45 pm »
Put me in the column that doesn't see the need and in fact feel that this might lead to more division among us. A few ruffled feathers now and then is mostly caused by a small number of folks. I prefer to not bow to the PC contingent among us just to keep a few people happy.

Offline Tower

« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2015, 06:54:16 pm »
Amen
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Tom W

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2015, 06:59:48 pm »
Stringman has it right. Work thru it.
One thing leads to another...