Author Topic: Good source for arrow shafts?  (Read 4089 times)

Texas Pete

Good source for arrow shafts?
« on: February 14, 2008, 11:48:23 am »
Howdy again folks,

Well, I'm looking for a good source for arrow making supplies.  Here is West Texas Mesquite is king and I'm not really sure how well it would work (Plus I'd rather not mess with all the thorns ;D).

I got a good source for feather as I buy goose feathers by the pound, and I make my own tips.  Guess I'm more or less looking for a good cane supplier or cedar shafts.

Thanks in advance

Texas Pete

Offline Kegan

Re: Good source for arrow shafts?
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 01:11:44 pm »
Dunno about cane or cedar, but you could use a table or bandsaw and ut 3/8" squares from hickory, oak, good pine, poplar, or any other good straight grained board and plane them down inot an octagon, then take the edges off again and it is virtually round.

Offline scattershot

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 01:13:47 pm »
If you're not stuck on cedar, American Woodcrafters has birch dowels . They make great arrows. They 3/8" will run around 80#, the 5/16" around 40# or so. There's some variation, of course, but that's the general range.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 01:38:05 pm by DanaM »
"Experience is just a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Texas Pete

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 01:27:57 pm »
If you're not stuck on cedar, American Woodcrafters has birch dowels for around $25.00/100. They make great arrows. They 3/8" will run around 80#, the 5/16" around 40# or so. There's some variation, of course, but that's the general range.

Good luck!

WOOHOO!  Thats perfect!  I got my ash longbow that runs 47#@28".  The 5/16" just might work.

Thanks again

Texas Pete

daniel

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:25 pm »
I will recommend sitka spruce shafts from hildebrandarrowshafts.com
these shafts aren't cheap, but quality is superb
« Last Edit: February 14, 2008, 08:44:35 pm by Hillbilly »

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 07:16:27 pm »
You may find a good local source of shoots for arrows. There are bound to be some good plants, trees or bushes. A good place to look for shafts is where undergrowth is growing after being cleared under powerlines in the woods.
I cut 55 good ash shoots this morning that should make some nice arrows. In the last month or so I must have cut about 100 dogwood shafts. I have some hazel dry in the loft, and bamboo growing in my garden. I am not sure I will ever need to buy shafts again!
There is some work in the preperation, drying etc but making these kind of arrows is a whole lot more fun that assembling arrows from ready made components.
Mark in England

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 08:01:32 pm »
I agree with Mark. Thats all I've used for the last 3 or 4 years. Hardwood shoots make very tough arrows. I use primarily sourwood but also cane, different dogwoods and viburnum. Shoot arrows are more work than working with store bought arrow shafts but the satisfaction factor is way up there...and they make cool looking arrows. ;)    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC