Author Topic: Video: Hammerstone Spalling inspired by Ishi's Method - Aboriginally linked  (Read 13539 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Video: Hammerstone Spalling inspired by Ishi's Method - Aboriginally linked
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2015, 10:10:15 am »
Ben, I think you have seen these.....it's is the photos I recently viewed. Very interesting report with these photos! I have recently tried holding my punches and knap in my hand. I will say it is a lot like trying to use chop sticks..lol

Just to stay on track I am not making claims it was done any specific way. I am trying to learn the old techniques just like many others.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2015, 10:15:09 am »
http://www.antlerdrift.blogspot.com/2011/07/antler-drift-indirect-percussion-300.html

I added one more punch pic. The long handled flakers are extremely interesting also. The above link will take you to the entire article.

There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline le0n

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2015, 11:02:59 am »
This individual knaps with punches, and a very peculiar hammer strike.  The strike looks like a doctor yanking off bandages.  I asked the fellow why the odd strike is used.

probably for a flash impact without any follow through (slower energy) to interrupt the initial energy that was put in motion.

Offline Hummingbird Point

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2015, 11:13:03 am »
Ben,

Inspired by our earlier discussion I got a copy of Holmes' Handbook of Aboriginal American Antiqueties the Lithic Industries and have read all the knapping related stuff in it.  He gives the Catlin description you site along with a bunch of others.  When I read the Catlin description you mention, I immediately thought of it as a straight punch type of system.  But I see where you are coming from on the horizontal puch idea.  It makes sense on so many different levels.  There was another tidbit in the book that got me really thinking about it, but rather than to gum up this thread, I will start a new one.

Keith

AncientTech

« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »
Hello Keith,

One other detail I forgot to mention is that pressure flakers are frequently held with a tilt, and not at a true "horizontal" angle.  It would be what one author called a "wide slanting" angle. 

That being said, if Catlin witnessed the flaker used in this manner, and he wrote that the "upper end of the flaker was struck", he would have been correct.  The natural tilt of the flaker would cause the flaking end to be the upper end not the lower end. 

When people read this, most probably assumed that the chisel was held as a normal stone chisel, and struck on the butt end.  Actually, Catlin borrowed language that people were familiar with, in referring to the tools as a chisel, and a mallet.  But, there is a difference in chiseling marble, or granite, and flaking flint.  Normal stone chiseling involves pecking into the stone, or chipping off portions of the stone, whereas flintflaking involves peeing off long conchoidally made fractures from the surface of the stone.  The way that the passage was interpreted (or misinterpreted) has more to do with a stone chiseling process, and not so much to do with flint flaking.  Even when a pressure flaker is used, it takes more than pushing into an edge.  On must both push in, and pull down, on the edge, to remove the flake. 

Anyway, if the flaker was held as a pressure flaker is normally held, in Catlin's account, then the long end of the flaker, held against the platform, would have become the "upper end". 

Also, the fact that everything is being held in hand, suggests that the rock was fairly brittle.  When the hand is held as a rest, it is more frequently subject to movement.  And, that detracts from flaking power.  This process might have been used with pieces of obsidian that were already fairly thin.