Author Topic: amazing discovery results  (Read 4112 times)

Offline iowabow

amazing discovery results
« on: November 07, 2015, 01:31:46 pm »
Amazing discovery. Just as I guessed it was the hollow ground edge in a diagonal flake knocking the edges off. Lucky for us we can see the dive and the removal of a small part of the edge. This is why an Anvil stone will not solve the issue; in this case the avnil stone is only witchcraft. The reason is that an anvil stone can't stop a wave below it. There would be a space because of the hollow ground surface.
Here is the solution. ....I have not developed one yet but the first step was to understand the why.
I have a ton of photos to demonstrate what happens to a wave under so many conditions and I will post them as well but first the cool stuff.
In the photos the white stone has be covered in graphite. The first 4 photos show the stone before the flake was taken. The next set of photos shows a flake traveling across to the other side and steps as it is redirected to the edge and then dives causing a very small hinge. The photo with the pencil show the location of the small dive. This is all on a small scale but should work to help people understand why this is happening.
Now remember this is small but when it is large it is a real pain.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:08:33 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: amazing discovery results
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 01:41:07 pm »
Ok the results

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 01:45:18 pm »
So if you want to induce an edge to dive off drive a Ridge to a hollow ground edge and when it encounters the extra mass then snapppOooo

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 01:48:35 pm »
The extra mass I am talking about are the ridges and up turned surfaces. When the diagonal flake reaches the horizontal flakes that are hollow ground it becomes too much and the energy dives.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 04:10:39 pm by iowabow »

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 08:01:05 pm »
This is an old point I made but had many problems building it so with this new mindset it should be easier that all this post is about .

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 08:31:15 pm »
Great work on that point with the continuous flake scars.

I have looked at your above pics and I think the graphite coating makes for some cool teaching. I am having trouble understanding what you actually did or wanting to show. The single white flake ran across the point really well. Sorry, I may be having a senior moment. ...:-)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 08:50:58 pm »
Great work on that point with the continuous flake scars.

I have looked at your above pics and I think the graphite coating makes for some cool teaching. I am having trouble understanding what you actually did or wanting to show. The single white flake ran across the point really well. Sorry, I may be having a senior moment. ...:-)
Sorry I barely understand it myself let me try to simplify it.
1. The goal is to send flakes across the surface.
2. Second goal is to not break off opposite side in the process because you lose the size

The image below shows how an edge can break off