Author Topic: Antler Base Punch Technique  (Read 11550 times)

AncientTech

Re: Antler Base Punch Technique
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 08:32:21 am »
Another interesting detail about the oversized flaker is that the cylinder of antler was simply hammered into the hole.  There is no lashing.  Antler is like a super durable plastic that is given to compression.  My guess is that by hammering the cylinder down into the hole, it squeezed the antler.  And, the tension created from the squeeze appears to create a great deal of static friction.  As a result, it seems to be immovable.

For all of the people interested in how Native Americans made their points, there is evidence to suggest that when antler cylinders were found accompanying the graves of deceased flintknappers, there was usually "one" cylinder per grave - not two, three, or four.  And, in at least one case, the cylinder was found over the pelvis area.  My guess is that the cylinders are probably found laying to either the left, or the right, of the pelvis, and facing away from the body.  Or, the cylinders may have been found parallel to the body, in the pelvis area.  My guess is that the cylinders are not found dead center over the pelvis.  If my theory is correct, then there would be a reason as to why this is.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 08:55:48 am »
Ben, that is interesting you mention the antler may be higher due to drag on the strike. I am also seeing this and felt I would break the point by placing the antler high but it works out okay. I was thinking the curved end was placing the impact spot lower but the punch sliding or dragging down some makes good sense to me.

I also understan follow through on strikes but I feel a good pop or quick strike will give great results also. Putting the antler on a bendable strong shaft by inserting it into the end would deliver a lot more energy in that quick pop or strike..Thanks for the "whipping" idea. I will be looking at that but I also fear a long shaft may cause accuracy issues and injured fingers in close work.

As far as the burial I would think the antler punch or striker was laid across the pelvic area and likely under or in the hand so that he may continue to make points and hunt in the after life...sounds good anyhow..:-)
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline le0n

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 07:12:19 pm »
But, you may have to "whip" the flaker, because there is not much room for follow through.

hadn't thought of that before.

can you actually increase velocity of the head of the striker by doing this?

is the function analogous to that of a bull whip? i know you aren't going to break the sound barrier with a stick, hah hah, but an increase in speed on the pull back is highly likely.

I believe that you can increase speed, by using a whipping strike.  Also - and this gets technical - you can also change the direction of the flaker, in some instances, by whipping it with a strike that slightly pulls the flaker head to one side.  The opposite end of the flaker will kick in the opposite directly.  This would apply to punches that are struck on the butt end.

We don't know for certain that only straight strikes were used.  A lot more testing needs to be done...  My five years of experiments have raised as many questions, as provided possible answers.

i would posit that having a round-ended punch would give you more mechanical control here. the variable contact patch on the hemisphere could allow you to easily change direction of the energy. however, the re-direct speed would be relational to the semi-fixed fulcrum from where one would hold the shaft of the punch with their fingers.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2015, 09:52:04 am »
Ok found it thank you
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!