Author Topic: Takedown Recurve Bow Unknown...  (Read 10555 times)

Offline Kountry83

Takedown Recurve Bow Unknown...
« on: November 10, 2015, 01:52:41 am »
Hi,

I just got this strange unmarked takedown recurve bow from this roadside guy, kinda like American picker lol, and I have no idea what I just got my hands on. So I was wanting to know if some one would recognise where it's from or what it is. Please help me figure this unique bow out please.

Thank you

Offline Kountry83

Re: Takedown Recurve Bow Unknown...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2015, 01:55:28 am »
More pics...

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2015, 01:59:10 am »
And more...

Offline chamookman

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2015, 04:12:42 am »
I'm going to take a shot in the Dark and say it's Bingham Kit bow. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2015, 05:34:17 am »
I'm sorry but is'nt that strung up backwards?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Msturm

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 06:13:06 am »
no idea on the make, looks like a kit bow to me, see aforementioned kit bow manufacturers (Bingham bow kit seems as best a guess as I can muster) for a better idea.

Take the Paracord string off of it and measure it nock to nock. Get/make a string a few inches shorter than the overall length (3-4). It is strung backwards, but people do that from time to time for storage. Keep in mind you will need to string it the other way (sorry if I am stating commonsense, but ya know how that goes...) Anyway,  It does not seem to have any fancy overlays so stick to b50 or something equivalent until you get it figured out.

Take it apart, make sure all the tapped female parts are sound unstripped and clean, the male screws are sound, and Carefully!!! string it up (keep your face away) and listen carefully....  Look for cracks, checks, etc. give it a couple half draws, a couple 3/4 draws. a couple full draws. See if she is sound. I don't see any significant compromise to the structural integrity. If she withstands this first round of testing shoot fifty arrows or so. just to see. Then, put it on a tillering tree (easy to make and plenty of how-to posts on this site) give her a couple pulls to full draw (28in), then (after you have determined via multiple experiments that it is safe) put that tree on a bathroom scale  and pull it to 28 inches (keep your face a long way away from a questionable bow at this point), note draw weight, look for a few seconds at the tiller, note any potential disasters, and let off slowly.

If all works out well you should have a shootable bow, a fairly accurate draw weight and determined if the bow is still in proper tiller.

Best of luck. I have rolled the dice on a couple bows like this. one turned out to be a bomb, poorly cared for Kit bow blew up in my face, Several others (bear bows mostly) needed work but are totally functional.. . The 74 k mag thrift shop pickup is my go-to hunting bow, been shooting it for 5 years, daily....,

I wish you the best!!

(if you see a deep hinge, a splinter rises, or it blows the F!@# up you have a problem).

« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 06:26:31 am by Msturm »

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 06:51:26 am »
That looks like a FG bow.  This should be moved to the campfire page.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 08:56:01 am »
The string groove runs all the way to the tip which suggests to me it was bubba-ized at some point. Cut down, and new string mocks made. They were obviously not done by a proficient bowyer because the nocks should flow smoothly into the string groove and they do not connect at all.

I think this might further support the kit bow theory, built bow too light so cut it down an inch or two.

Personally I'd add overlays, clean up the nocks, refinish etc. and you could have something really slick there.

Obviously only after the safety checks previously recommended.

Good luck.

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 12:51:18 pm »
I'm sorry but is'nt that strung up backwards?

Yes it is for long time storage lol

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2015, 01:10:58 pm »
That looks like a FG bow.  This should be moved to the campfire page.

What is a FG bow? Never heard of that...

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 01:14:17 pm »
I've had several bingham kit bows and I don't believe this is one of them. It does look handmade though. Thank you all for all the advice and guesses.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 04:06:59 pm »
FG-fiberglass,

I think it is a homemade recovery bow. Someone cut the limbs off another bow and made a crude riser to fit the limbs into.

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2015, 04:13:12 pm »
FG-fiberglass,

I think it is a homemade recovery bow. Someone cut the limbs off another bow and made a crude riser to fit the limbs into.

Well it's definitely not a FG bow lol. Never heard of a crude riser...What is that?

Offline TrevorM

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2015, 04:23:10 pm »
A riser is the handle part. Crude as in constructed in a rudimentary or makeshift way.
Trevor

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2015, 04:38:06 pm »
The glass is from the 60's and I think it's a homemade bow also. And have to agree with Eric that it's made from salvaged parts. If it was mine I'd string it and start pulling and working it on a Tiller tree. If it's gonna break I'd just as soon do it early on before I put time and money cleaning and making it look pretty with new overlays.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?