Author Topic: my first  (Read 2559 times)

Offline jayman448

my first
« on: November 29, 2015, 08:50:33 pm »
the last eight days i was hunting in some of the most beautiful area BC has to offer. after seven days of hunting, sleeping in a tarp tent, and marching six hours a day across grass lands, gullies and mountain sides, i finally got my buck. this is the first deer ive ever bagged. it was early morning, i had only been hunting about an hour at this point. the snow was knee deep, very dry and fluffy, acting as a muffler for each step. as i neared the crest of the next pine forest hill a breaking stick caught my attention and i froze. several moments later i shrugged it off and began gently ascending to the peak of the rise. the wind was in my face. and then there he was. head down, coming straight for me at only 22 yards. i froze. the buck came aware to my presence and quartered, then froze to assess his next move. panic began to set in. it wasnt broadside quite yet, but i did have a shot. i raised my old 30 30, he stepped,and i shot. a good solid lung shot. that big boy nearly dropped where he stood, gathered himself, and trotted the best he could down the hill, fifty yards away to his final resting place.

Offline Gsulfridge

Re: my first
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2015, 09:05:43 pm »
Nice!!
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2015, 09:09:25 pm »
Great story and dang nice deer and taken with a lever gun to boot.  What's the make and model of the rifle?  I have and the 3 lever guns I own: a Henry 22 and two Rossi 92's in a .357 and .45 Colt.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2015, 09:32:06 pm »
Nice work Jay

Offline jayman448

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2015, 09:58:23 pm »
this lever gun is a winchester 30 30 from the 40s or 50s. im not quite sure. i borrowed it from my girlfriends dad. he insisted i shoot with this gun rather than the enfield i brought on the hunt. haha

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2015, 10:15:33 pm »
Congratulations on your first deer and also wading through all of that white crap to do it, well done.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Zuma

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2015, 10:28:49 pm »
I would be happy with that big boy for my
hundredth.
Sounds like you earned that first one.
Zuma
If you are a good detective the past is at your feet. The future belongs to Faith.

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2015, 12:47:54 am »
Jay, you did well.  First by being the gracious guest using your girl friend's father weapon of choice. And second, appealing to all of us romantics who love the idea of hunting with legendary Winchester 30-30.  Once I had a friend's father-in-law insist that I use his firearm instead of mine on a squirrel hunt.  My firearm was Remington pump .22 that was minute-of-squirrel-head at 50 yards.  My host, Arvis said we'd be hunting in tall timber and I needed a gun that could reach out there.  I'm thinking "how tall can these trees be that I can not reach them with a .22?  Well, Arvis led me to his gun cabin and pulled out a Winchester model 12 with a 28" full choke barrel.  I tried not to drool on this legendary gun. I took 6 squirrels, my limit, with this gun the next morning.  As you can tell, it's a cherished memory.

When you look back on this hunting season, of course you remember your first deer, but also pay homage to the antique firearm that made it possible.
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline chamookman

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 03:10:48 am »
Congrats - nice Buck ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 06:35:23 am »
Nice, very nice.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 07:04:17 am »
Very nice deer.Congrats. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stoker

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 10:08:44 am »
Nice buck.. Great story..
Thanks Leroy