Author Topic: Takedown Recurve Bow Unknown...  (Read 10544 times)

Offline Kountry83

Re: Takedown Recurve Bow Unknown...
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2015, 04:44:37 pm »
The glass is from the 60's and I think it's a homemade bow also. And have to agree with Eric that it's made from salvaged parts. If it was mine I'd string it and start pulling and working it on a Tiller tree. If it's gonna break I'd just as soon do it early on before I put time and money cleaning and making it look pretty with new overlays.

How far should I pull it to?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2015, 05:14:29 pm »
I would work the limbs from barely pulling it over and over and continue to increase the pull as you go listening to ticking noises. After working up to full draw, I'd start holding it there for a few seconds, sometimes that is when they would let go. I've only had one glass bow explode like a bomb, a Bear Kodiak Magnum, 80#, that must have been left in a hot vehicle. It let go at an indoor range and was exciting. As old and abused as that bow looks there is a good chance it was stored in a hot place a few times.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 08:45:17 pm »
Thank you all for the great advice and helping out.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 03:12:12 pm »
I got a call from a guy selling archery equipment today I'm going after work to look at an all wood take-down bow and a longbow. He said they have labels, American Traditions. Also a tackle box full of broadheads, over 900 wooden arrows, fletching and a lot of other stuff.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 04:31:27 pm »
I got a call from a guy selling archery equipment today I'm going after work to look at an all wood take-down bow and a longbow. He said they have labels, American Traditions. Also a tackle box full of broadheads, over 900 wooden arrows, fletching and a lot of other stuff.

Oh wow that sounds awesome.
Could you post some pics of them if you get them?
That's an great setup. Wish I had that lol. I'm working on it though. I had an amazing setup but they were stolen out of my truck when me and the family went camping. Yea it broke my heart lol. Loved my setup but it's all good. I'm going to try to get back in the game.

Good luck bud!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 05:41:28 pm »
Went by and checked it out. I was the 4 o'clock guy and the 3 o'clock guy bought all of the broad heads and the tackle box. I wasn't going to pay $175 for the box anyway. He also got the longbow, #64. The take down was #62 and he wanted a fortune for it. I tried to buy a box of 300 cedar arrows, spine unknown for $80 bucks but he wanted $200. I ended up just walking out with two boxes of full cut and assorted feathers still in the Three Rivers packages for $50. He also had a box of black powder molds, mini's, a lead stove, dippers and assorted stuff. He wanted to sell the box as a package deal and I passed, didn't need 8 molds for .049 mini balls. he had boxes of holsters, and about 20 boxes of arrows in Dozens but no idea what the splines were. It was fun looking at the stuff, though, might check back with him in a week or so and see if he is ready to come off some money.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 08:16:12 pm »
Went by and checked it out. I was the 4 o'clock guy and the 3 o'clock guy bought all of the broad heads and the tackle box. I wasn't going to pay $175 for the box anyway. He also got the longbow, #64. The take down was #62 and he wanted a fortune for it. I tried to buy a box of 300 cedar arrows, spine unknown for $80 bucks but he wanted $200. I ended up just walking out with two boxes of full cut and assorted feathers still in the Three Rivers packages for $50. He also had a box of black powder molds, mini's, a lead stove, dippers and assorted stuff. He wanted to sell the box as a package deal and I passed, didn't need 8 molds for .049 mini balls. he had boxes of holsters, and about 20 boxes of arrows in Dozens but no idea what the splines were. It was fun looking at the stuff, though, might check back with him in a week or so and see if he is ready to come off some money.

Yea that kinda stuff can be pricey at times but at least you got something cool ya know. I have a old colt navy revolver .45 black powder with every thing and it's awesome to shoot. Very powerful! Thanks for sharing that though and maybe you'll have better luck next time. I'm going to do some tilling on this wood takedown this weekend and I'll take pictures for results to let y'all know the outcome. Its about 60 to 62 inches in length so what draw do you think it'll have?

Thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 03:07:46 pm »
28"
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 03:26:11 pm »
28"
Cool thank you! Yea I was thinking anywhere from 27 to 29

Offline stickbender

« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2015, 03:37:55 pm »

Dang Eddie, you are a flea market magnet!  Cut yourself with that draw knife yet?

Wayne

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #25 on: November 12, 2015, 09:18:06 pm »
Not yet, Wayne, it sure is a good one, though.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2015, 12:43:34 pm »
Ok
I went to begin my stringing for this old bow and noticed something odd so I told myself I better get a professionals opinion of I should string and work it...What do y'all think?
Thanks

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #27 on: November 18, 2015, 01:07:43 pm »
I'm no expert, but this looks a LOT like water damage, I don't know if I would trust this thing...

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: November 18, 2015, 03:25:41 pm »
Loctite super glue in the cracks and clamp it.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Kountry83

« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 01:00:04 am »
Thank you
Ok so I tried the loctite super glue and clamped it with wood clamps but the loctite doesn't seem like it going down into the seems all the way. Ugh! This bow is amazing and beautiful whoever made it but I wish I could test it. I don't know what else to do...I wish there were someone around my area that worked on custom bows but can't find anybody. Bummer. Well I tried thank y'all for the advice. I might just put it up on the wall for right now until I find someone more qualified to restore it.