Author Topic: Bending Boo?  (Read 9042 times)

Brokenbow

Bending Boo?
« on: February 20, 2008, 06:57:46 pm »
When Bending Bamboo do You use Steam or dry Heat? :-\

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Bending Boo?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:13:10 pm »
Dry heat....at least that's what I've seen. (my experience is limited to river cane)  The air inside the boo (between nodes) will expand and cause the bamboo to crack (or explode) unless you use low heat or have some way of letting the hot air escape.  I think there is at least one good video and several websites that have info on bamboo arrow making.
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Brokenbow

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2008, 08:46:20 pm »
The Information i want is on bending Bamboo for use in a try lam Bow.i want to pre bend the Bamboo backing.
 I want to use 2 Lams of Yew and back them with Bamboo.
 ;D

Offline wolfsire

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2008, 08:55:45 pm »
I read on a bamboo site about bending boo.  Most is done while the stuff is reasonably wet.  It was suggested to boil dry boo.  For what you want, I cannot see how steaming will hurt, but I can see how a dry heat could cause a burn or the use of oil, a typical dry heat supplement, would cause problems for lamination.

Then again, if you are going for something like a Perry Reflex, I dont think you even want to preset the bend.  I think you would want to retain its ability to bounce back.
Steve in LV, NV

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 02:34:09 am »
Unless you are planning to make an extreme bend you shouldn't need much heat if any.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline adb

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 01:31:00 pm »
You should induce reflex or deflex, with bamboo, using glue. In other words, bend the bamboo by gluing it to shape with a form..

Offline stiknstring

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 02:57:10 pm »
If you go to horseapples bow page you can see how he uses a torch to bend bamboo for a bamboo backed recurve...i don't know if that helps or not.  he is in msn groups...you can type HORSEAPPLES BOW on yahoo search and find it.  His PHENOM bows are super sweet.

I went back and found the page for you...I would peruse the whole set of webpages but then again I really LOVE looking at pretty bows...

http://groups.msn.com/Horseapplesbowpage/bamboobows.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=81

Have fun.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 05:44:26 pm by stiknstring »