Author Topic: Ipe questions  (Read 4977 times)

Offline loefflerchuck

• www.heartwoodbows.com
Re: Ipe questions
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 10:49:16 pm »
I didn't leave enough wood to get the power I wanted but have a near round cross section shooter. 78" long 69# @ 28.5". 1 1/16" wide at the handle. 7/8" mid limb 5/16 below nock. It has decent power but is a little harsh on release.  The bow Justin S made in a post would be a improvement and how I would make the next one. His was just under a inch at the handle and 1/2" wide mid limb. As he said this heavy wood needs to be very narrow for a faster and more comfortable shooting bow. I see why everyone backs this wood, but it is fun to try a self bow the way they were made in South America from this wood, and the dark color is beautiful. It is also fun to tiller a bow with a round cross section. Just scrape away in a circle to maintain the shape.

Offline bubby

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 11:08:22 pm »
Very cool chuck and good info
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2015, 01:12:58 am »
Awesome bow Chuck, looks fun to shoot

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2015, 03:16:29 pm »
I had the sister board to the one that Justin made his self bow from. I ended up backing mine with bamboo, I didn't trust a couple of swirls in the wood.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2015, 04:02:21 pm »
I have one in the process backed with bamboo. The properties were not at all what I expected and it has been neat feeling the different properties of different woods. I had only worked with Osage until last week when I started a hickory self bow. I got first hand experience on why not to assume that all woods are similar. The Hickory will be underweight but I love working with it. Ipe is a whhhoooole different animal. I'm glad I saw this thread and will bookmark it. I bought a 1 by 6 piece and am going to try to eventually get 3 bows backed with bamboo. I planned on just cutting it into 3 one by twos. Will this work? I can plain it down thinner if needed.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2015, 04:07:40 pm »
Killer tiller Chuck. Ipe always amazes me at how little wood it requires to make one damn stout bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Aaron H

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 04:34:54 pm »
Great job Chuck, good info here

Offline KS51

« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 09:05:28 pm »
I have one in the process backed with bamboo. The properties were not at all what I expected and it has been neat feeling the different properties of different woods. I had only worked with Osage until last week when I started a hickory self bow. I got first hand experience on why not to assume that all woods are similar. The Hickory will be underweight but I love working with it. Ipe is a whhhoooole different animal. I'm glad I saw this thread and will bookmark it. I bought a 1 by 6 piece and am going to try to eventually get 3 bows backed with bamboo. I planned on just cutting it into 3 one by twos. Will this work? I can plain it down thinner if needed.

If you are backing with Boo and you are staying in the 50-60 # range, you shouldn't need your boards much more than 1-1/4" wide.  If the board is 5/4 decking, and you have a thin kerf ripping blade, you could rip each board in half and add back a 1/8" power lam.  So you possibly have 8 bows worth of Ipe if you work it right.

Ken

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 11:35:40 pm »

If you are backing with Boo and you are staying in the 50-60 # range, you shouldn't need your boards much more than 1-1/4" wide.  If the board is 5/4 decking, and you have a thin kerf ripping blade, you could rip each board in half and add back a 1/8" power lam.  So you possibly have 8 bows worth of Ipe if you work it right.

Ken

Gotcha. All I have is a little 9 inch band saw. Its kind of crappy for that kind of stuff. I have been tempted to buy something bigger and more precise for a while now.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #24 on: November 19, 2015, 12:33:35 am »

Ken

You could go even narrower. 7/8" would be alright
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2015, 12:34:25 am »
Very well excited chuck. Any chance for some more detailed photos?
Clatskanie, Oregon