Author Topic: Ulna bone?  (Read 4231 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Ulna bone?
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:57:37 pm »
A beautiful young doe provided two ulna bones today to my knapping kit. They are soft right now and need to dry some. What's the best way to prepare ulna bones for knapping?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Ulna bone?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 10:45:12 pm »
When I prep bones for art projects, I typically simmer them in a stock pot for an hour or two (don't boil). Boiling bones can cook the oils and fats into the bone matrix. It will give it a plastic looking appearance and leaves it slightly more flexible.  I add soda ash and borax to the water if I'm not saving the "stock" pot liquid for hide glue.   Removing the oils and fats via boiling will shorten dry time because oil evaporates pretty slow compared to water. I can't imagine this method wouldn't work for the preparation of knapping tools. I'm sure someone else will point it out quickly if I'm wrong.

The leftover water in the stockpot can be boiled down to make hide glue. That is if you're doing a potful of bones. Probably not worth the effort if we're only talking about two bones.

I contacted a venison processor recently. He gave me the okay to raid his scrap pile for ulna's, sinew, and bones if I want them.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 07:21:01 am »
I was editing this free booklet yesterday and just completed the section on the ulna bone I will pm this to you later today.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:22:16 am »
Great, Thank you!

Offline turbo

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 07:46:23 am »
If anyone has an extra one or two deer ulna bones I would gladly trade or take them off your hands ;)

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 09:38:55 am »
Turbo, I hope to get a couple more before the season ends.... ;D
If I do I will give you a call...

Offline turbo

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 05:40:02 pm »
Turbo, I hope to get a couple more before the season ends.... ;D
If I do I will give you a call...

Thanks! There's some green rhyolite w/ your name on it.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2015, 10:46:28 pm »
Turbo what are your local laws concerning picking up road kill?

I saw 6 deer roadside on my way to work this morning. The whole front leg can be removed at the shoulder with a medium knife. Where I'm at you have to take the whole deer and phone the game commission to get a roadkill tag #. Unfortunately that limits me to fresh ones, well if I want my family to remain in the house anyway. You could always call your game commission and tell them what you're looking for. They may tell you where they dumped collected road kills from the summer.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna