Author Topic: Sources for wood shafting  (Read 11174 times)

Offline BarredOwl

Sources for wood shafting
« on: November 16, 2015, 09:38:02 am »
I just finished a new bow that is going to require some lower spined shafts than what I have.  I would like to try something besides POC in hopes that something tougher with a lot of POC's other good characteristics exists.  I know ash shafts are going to be tougher but harder to straighten and heavier.  I am looking for some shafts that will be in the 30-35 lb spine range and would like for them to come in no heavier than 500 grains with point and all.   I have tried Sitka spruce in the past and didn't really care a lot for them either.   Three Rivers didn't even have the spine range I am looking for in POC.

I have read on here that some guys are building some poplar arrows that they really like.  How would the physical weight of poplar compare to POC for a given spine weight range?  I googled poplar arrow shafts and only found a place in Europe that sells 5/16 poplar in a 30-35 lb spine range. 

So if anyone can put me on to some suppliers that might have what I am looking for I would like to try something new or find some POC that are in the spine range I need. 

Offline Josh B

Re: Sources for wood shafting
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2015, 09:48:45 am »
If your interested in shoot shafts, honeysuckle is tailor made for what your needing.  I don't recall seeing much honeysuckle where you're at.  But maybe someone in the KC area or farther east could trade you some.  Josh

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2015, 11:34:50 am »
Are you talking about bush honey suckle that has the red berries on it this time of year?  The highly invasive, non-native, reprehensible plant that totally dominates the understory of woodlands where it is left un-checked?  If so it's all over the town I live in, even in my own back yard.  Never thought about trying that stuff. 

I was hoping to find some production shafts that were already spined and sorted accordingly, that would let me go the easy route right now since I am still trying to get a deer killed. 

Offline Josh B

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2015, 11:51:50 am »
Yep, that's the stuff!  The stems are hollow so care must be taken when straightening it, but it makes pretty durable arrows.  Much better than POC.  Make sure you get the second year shoots.  You can tell the difference by whether it just has leaf scars or twigs.  You want twigs.  Josh

For ready made shafts, don't overlook 5/16" raminwood dowels from the lumberyard or farm store. You'll want to be picky and make sure the grain runs true for the entire dowel and as straight as possible.  You can flex them by hand and get a pretty good idea of the spine.  They usually run anywhere from .49 to .79 cents a piece.  Josh
« Last Edit: November 16, 2015, 12:18:08 pm by Gun Doc »

riverrat

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 01:30:47 pm »
its great arrow shaft material. love honey suckle shoots.grow very straight. most times with a slight gradual bend. and long too. when you debark it and straighten dont let it fool you as its green that itll be too weak. once it dries its a monster.lol very strong stuff for spine and weight. Tony

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2015, 04:33:39 pm »
I'm a semi-new converted douglas fir lover. Very tough and straight, even for my crappy shooting they hold up well. Check out Wapiti Archery for prices and such.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline TimBo

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2015, 05:23:39 pm »
Echo Archery also has some nice Douglas fir shafts.

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2015, 06:38:51 pm »
Thanks guys.  The douglas fir may be just what I was looking for since they are tougher than POC price is good too. 

I am still curious about poplar shafts based on some posts from guys that seem to love them.  How do they compare weight wise to either cedar or doug fir, and how are they to straighten/keep straight?

Offline DavidV

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 08:10:18 pm »
I haven't weighed any poplar shafts but POC and Tulip poplar both average out at 29 lbs/ft^3. They tend to warp but not as bad as the harder wood shafts.

Springfield, MO

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 08:30:07 pm »
Lots of shoot shafts are good for arrows, honeysuckle as already mentioned, arrowood viburnum, dogwood, small hickory saplings, rivercane, chinese privet and many more. You don't even have to spine your shafts, just match them in length, taper and apparent spine when you bend them and while they are still long shoot them out of your bow and 10-15ft and find the ones that stick straight into the target. Once you make a few shoot shafts it's not difficult at all and is actually quite enjoyable. I highly recommend making your own arrows, using sinew, turkey feathers, and natural glue, it only adds to the level of satisfaction (plus when you shoot in front of the glass bow guys and it actually flies really good and their mouths hang open, priceless :D)
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 11:02:37 pm »
Pearl . . . think grain of doug fir is such that a person can taper point end third of shaft with thumb plane, or will get lotsa "dig in"?
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline dylanholderman

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 11:44:54 pm »
honeysuckle will also make a good bow if you can find a long enough piece. just thought i would throw that out there >:D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 09:55:44 am »
Mike I see no reason you couldn't taper them.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 12:55:26 pm »
Kevin Forester of Forester Woods(a PA sponsor) has all sorts of wood shafting in about every size. Check him out.
 Is there a reason you want 500gr for a 35# spined arrow?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BarredOwl

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 02:50:04 pm »
I want them to come in 500 grains or under with point feathers and all.  500 grains is the upper limit.