Author Topic: Dust collection  (Read 4635 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Dust collection
« on: November 17, 2015, 11:47:00 am »
What does everyone use for dust collection? My shop is a mess, I am thinking about piping in a system and using a shop-vac and a cyclone dust separator. I have a Bandsaw, Table saw and a Miter saw currently in my shop, with the amount of dust that accumulates in my shop it makes it a bit scary to grind or cut metal in there. Thanks for your advice in advance.

Joe
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Dust collection
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 12:48:03 pm »
The best bet, IMO, is to hook your Shop Vac up to each tool as needed. For the air, I use a box air cleaner on my ceiling. It helps.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 12:59:24 pm »
I use all the horizontal surfaces in my shop as dust collectors.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline paulsemp

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 01:19:49 pm »
Metal work don't belong in a wood shop

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 01:26:15 pm »

I use my bandsaw as a sander sometimes. And I cut all thread. That is the extent of my metal work.

I wonder how my wife will feel "Honey, I need a metal shop now".

Although a forge and a good anvil would be nice. All I need is more hobbies.

Offline DC

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 01:44:21 pm »
Every once in a while I have to weld something. It's stupid, I know, but when it's peeing down rain and it's just one little bead.  I do it first thing in the morning and then I'm paranoid(with good reason) the rest of the day. I too need a dust collection system. Right now I wait for a windy day, open all the doors and windows, and walk around with a leaf blower stirring everything up. I'll be reading this with interest.

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 02:04:17 pm »
The best bet, IMO, is to hook your Shop Vac up to each tool as needed. For the air, I use a box air cleaner on my ceiling. It helps.
The vac solution, imo, is good 1st step. But I'm so dang lazy that I often say, "heck with it", and cut away sans vac hookup.
Do need to put together one of those box fan + furnace filter solutions to catch some of the air borne stuff. If get REAL motivated, will give this approach a go.  www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,54850.msg744986.html#msg744986
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline RBLusthaus

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 02:09:39 pm »
I use a shop vac hooked up to an oneida dust deputy.  Works great for small stuff.  I would not hook it up to a planer, but for hand held sanders, smaller runs on the table saw, and for a floor sweep - it works great and I never have to worry about losing suction due to the filter clogging. 

Russ

Offline sleek

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 02:33:15 pm »
I have a dust collection too! So far I have collected two five gallon buckets of the stuff. Mostly osage. Thinking of making a dye. I use a shop vac hooked to my sander. Works good last long time.
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 02:37:42 pm »

I use my bandsaw as a sander sometimes. And I cut all thread. That is the extent of my metal work.

I wonder how my wife will feel "Honey, I need a metal shop now".

Although a forge and a good anvil would be nice. All I need is more hobbies.

I wont even temper or shape a bow until I get my shop cleaned up. A few times an errant heat gun spark made smoke on my floor. That's scarey crap in a shop basement.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 03:36:52 pm »
I have 2 shop vacs, one permanently hooked up to my bandsaw and the other moves from one tool to another.  The only thing that does not have dust collection on it is my jointer
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 04:04:09 pm »
The Dust deputy looks interesting. I have a big old shop vac with an ineffectual filter. One of these on front of it may be the answer.

Offline JoJoDapyro

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2015, 04:16:30 pm »
The Dust deputy looks interesting. I have a big old shop vac with an ineffectual filter. One of these on front of it may be the answer.

It goes on a separate container. I have seen 55 gallon drums used, or paper drums. There is another that goes on either a bucket, or a larger container sold at one of the wood working stores I am thinking of picking up. $60 for the Dust Deputy is a bit rich for my blood. I have been using my shop vac hooked up to my band saw, but it does clog my filter with a quickness. In the end I would like to run PVC to all of my saws, and another few extra outlets for expansion, and use either the DD or the other cheaper alternative. My clean-up will also get simpler when I pull all the carpet  >:D Who would have thought, carpet isn't a good idea in a wood shop!

Offline DC

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 04:34:05 pm »
I though it was a bit rich for my blood but my house is worth more than $60.

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2015, 04:54:46 pm »
Go big, you will never regret it. I put this one in an adjacent room because it is so loud when it runs. It has a remote start and is piped in to all my equipment.