Author Topic: Dust collection  (Read 4636 times)

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Dust collection
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2015, 05:10:26 pm »
That is my first thought. There are a few used one on a local sales site here in Utah. Sneaking $100 isn't as easy as it used to be.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline DC

« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2015, 05:51:11 pm »
The noise is a big issue for me. I don't have an adjacent room and I think I would rather have dust than noise. How long after you use each tool do you run the dust collector? If I could get away with just having the collector running while the tool is running I could live with it. I'm mostly concerned with the belt sander and table saw and fortunately they are right beside each other. For me the shavings from scraping are the fire hazard. They are on the floor right under my vise. I sweep them up many times a day but there is still a big pile not far from where I do most of my work.

Offline bow101

« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 09:34:57 pm »
If you have a dedicated 20 amp outlet just hook up to older style vacuums like filter queens and use the cyclone. You can even make a cyclone.  Or do what Pearl recommends use the shop vac for each machine.   If you want piping just buy built in Vacuum pipe its cheap and big enough for the stuff we do as long as no big chunks are getting sucked up.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2015, 09:50:09 pm »
I've got a fan at the door and open the back window. I'm moving my big sanders outside, now, though.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline willie

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2015, 10:01:01 pm »
for dry dust with shop vacs I have found that  you can take an old tee shirt and tie off the neck and arm holes and stretch the bottom of the shirt around the rim of the shop vac bucket like you would with a trashcan liner in a trash can

saves the smaller canister filter for the fines

Offline bow101

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2015, 11:45:23 pm »
for dry dust with shop vacs I have found that  you can take an old tee shirt and tie off the neck and arm holes and stretch the bottom of the shirt around the rim of the shop vac bucket like you would with a trashcan liner in a trash can

saves the smaller canister filter for the fines

Its the fine particulate that will Damage your lungs.  Take it from me I have smoked and breathed in enough dust from shops and job sites.  My Lungs are toast.  Yes I can breathe but shoveling snow is like climbing mount Everest.
If you use the good paper masks thats ok.   but remember it takes a while before the dust settles.  No Pun there . :laugh:

Offline willie

« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2015, 01:03:20 am »
101-

I hear you about the dust. my lungs will probably be the death of me, but god willing that won't be for another 20 years I hope.

I have been like mullet and try to do the sanding outside when I can Hopefully I can get to where I don't need to use powertools at all, but the bandsaw is hard to give up.

the tee shirt was a way to be able to use the finest filter I can find for the vac itself.

all in all, I think that shop vacs are a poor substitue for a proper system, but every bit helps indoors

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2015, 04:33:32 am »
My shop is out side . ;) :) :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bow101

« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2015, 02:34:55 pm »
If you search the online classifieds and thrift shops you can probably pick up a good used Built In vac for less than $150.  The only major service issue with any vac is the motor. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 11:15:55 pm by bow101 »