Author Topic: Venison Bone Broth  (Read 4550 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Venison Bone Broth
« on: November 17, 2015, 04:28:24 pm »
Trying to use all parts of my deer. I am keeping the hide to brain tan, cooking liver, cutting and grinding the meat, saving antlers and ulna bones for knapping and used the large bones for bone broth. anyone need the skull?

Bone Broth, put in bones and cover with water then add carrots, celery, garlic, vinegar, onion, salt and pepper....bring to a boil for 30 minutes then simmer for 24 hours...pour through a strainer and put in mason jars with sealed lids.

Bone Broth is a nourishing broth that can be used in many ways as well as drinking just as a broth. It also gives you another use for your deer parts.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
Re: Venison Bone Broth
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 06:09:54 pm »
Sounds like a great pick me up while out in the woods. I love me some broth! My Father in law was boiling some skulls (Mule deer and Elk) This past weekend, made me hungry lol
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:53:26 pm »
Lyman, if you slow/low cook the bones dry in the oven with the vegs first then add water and simmer it will enhance the flavors considerably.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline SeanStuart

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 01:37:44 pm »
NClonghunter, you have the broth in jars. Is that "canned" so it does not need refrigeration? If so, how long will it last like that. I am just thinking it is very low acid. I usually use plastic and freeze stocks and broths.

Also, definitely agree with Pat B about roasting bones first. I let them get pretty dark.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 02:30:09 pm »
Sean, first time making bone broth. I did boil the jars, heat the rings and lids then poured hot broth into the warm jars. The lids popped and sealed as they cooled. So, I am believing they are sealed and just last a long time. I only made five jars and I put four of them into the fridge.

I am working on getting another deer and plan to broil or bake the bones as suggested. Sounds like a good plan to me. Will pressure can the next batch also.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 05:08:13 pm by nclonghunter »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 07:54:24 pm »
Your jars are sealed, but they should have been "canned".  Just because the broth was hot and the domed lids popped, does not mean the broth was shelf stable.  I recommend simplycanning.com for good basic information on how to can just about anything. Botulism is a real possibility, and life threatening.

I put my broth in jars in a pressure cooker for 25 minutes at 15 lbs pressure. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline nclonghunter

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:39:47 pm »
JW, Thank you for the "heads up". I put the first batch into the refridge and figured that would prolong the shelf life a while. Next batch will go in the canner. As the first post indicates I put that first batch into the fridge around the 15th...you think I should go ahead and put it in the canner or use as is or is it too late?????

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 09:50:28 pm »
JW, Thank you for the "heads up". I put the first batch into the refridge and figured that would prolong the shelf life a while. Next batch will go in the canner. As the first post indicates I put that first batch into the fridge around the 15th...you think I should go ahead and put it in the canner or use as is or is it too late?????

I would hate to hazard a guess.  I have a 7 day rule on anything in the fridge except cheese.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.