Author Topic: Venison neck roast lunch meat??  (Read 6141 times)

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Venison neck roast lunch meat??
« on: November 17, 2015, 06:57:12 pm »
So I guy I work with smokes his neck roasts then slices them up for lunch meat sandwiches. Sounds yummy, and I'll be trying it as soon as I get a slicer. Just wondered if anyone else does something different with the neck roasts.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Venison neck roast lunch meat??
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 08:47:01 pm »
All my roasts go in a slow cooker with two cans of mushroom soup.....it is awesome.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 03:18:21 am »
I cook 'Em just like a Pot Roast - Neck Roasts are My favorite meal on the Deer ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 09:34:00 am »
I start mine in the smoker and finish it off in the oven. Just remember low and slow. You'll know if you did it too fast, it will make a boot heel seem tender.

My uncle used to cut "x's" into the roast and stuff the holes with a garlic spice mix. After it was cooled and sliced there were little pockets of flavor in the sliced meat, a classic camp favorite. It took the rest of the season for the garlic smell to fade, but it helps to solidify the memories.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2015, 01:55:28 pm »
Yup, nothing been said in this thread that I could say is wrong!  Worse yet, I didn't have time for breakfast and it is about time for lunch, so this is an exquisite torture to read!

I have grilled/broiled neck roasts hot and fast, leaving them bloody rare.  I allow them to cool, then chunk it into stew sized pieces, drown in red wine and leave it in the oven at 225 degrees F for 5 hours.  Add pearl onions, mushrooms, and a can or Campbell's Golden Mushroom soup, give it an hour at 325 degrees to finish and serve with thick homemade noodles, poratoes, or rice, and a big old stick of sourdough baguette!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2015, 01:17:34 pm »
onion soup mix, a little water, some bell peppers and mushrooms, put in crock pot and cook till it falls off the bone.  Neck roast is so good.  Dang it!  I have made myself hungry...
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2015, 10:30:20 am »
I put them in a black pot with some seasoning/ liquid [different kinds depending on what I am feeling that day]  I really like Italian dressing [low fat of course]  ;) ;D ;D and cook slow on the coals most of the day, about mid day add some taters/carrots/peppers bell or maybe some hot and cook a couple more hours. Yum yum.
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GlennM

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2015, 04:28:14 pm »
I tie up the neck roasts. Cover in Montreal spice. In a very hot cast iron skillet, sear all the side to get a nice crust on the outside. Once done, transfer to a crock pot, with mushroom soup, pkt of onion soup mix, red wine, and beef broth. Cook for 12-14 hours. During the last 2 add onions and sliced mushrooms.  Break the meat apart and pile onto a good hard roll with horseradish mayo. Delish.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2015, 07:20:06 pm »
I seared a neck roast the other day in heavy cast iron, then crock potted it with vegetable broth, red wine, Italian spices, mushrooms, and onions.  When it was falling apart, I pulled the roast and shredded it.

I split some Italian bread rolls, slathered with garlic butter, popped them under the broiler until they toasted.  Once toasted, the rolls were covered with slices of mozzarella cheese and back under the broiler. 

The sandwich was finally assembled with a load of meat, mushrooms, and onions. Then cups of the broth were served alongside for dipping.  I accidently splashed a little of that broth and it hit my forehead.  My tongue slapped my face raw trying to get to it!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2015, 03:55:22 am »
Whoa - Does that ever sound good JDub ! Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

riverrat

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2016, 08:00:44 pm »
slow cooker will do wonders on a neck roast as well. i use garlic, onions, pepper, roasted peppers, salt, and a little cumin. then after its falling apart i shred it and make tamales. ya ya buddy, awesome tamales!Tony