Author Topic: Ash dimensions  (Read 1895 times)

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
Ash dimensions
« on: November 19, 2015, 11:11:34 am »
I was given an ash board that has been air dried for several years.  It's about 8"x72"+x 7/8"-1" thick.
I was wondering if you guys could help me on dimensions?  I've also read that white ash makes a decent elb.  The board is flat sawn and very straight grained. Should I try to chase a ring if possible or is ash like hickory and doesn't need a backing. Thanks for any info. Tim
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Ash dimensions
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 12:17:19 pm »
Wide, long, trapped and tempered does the trick. No need to back it if the grain is cool.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 12:35:10 pm »
ALB or ELB?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Springbuck

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 06:06:17 pm »
  Never made an ELB from ash, but my formula for decent to good white woods (elm, ash, mulberry, hard maple) generally runs about the same.

Somewhere between nose-picker height and as tall as you. 1-3/4" wide limbs, minimum. 1-3/4 " wide limbs, 2-1/4" if you can get it. You can always narrow a bow that is taking very little set at about 24" draw while tillering.   Short handle, short to medium fades, and anything from American flatbow to Meare Heath front profile and tiller.  Molly if the limbs can be wide in close to the handle.

If the board is cleanly flat sawn chasing a ring is not a bad idea, but if the rings run straight, you may not have to.  If you use a board stave, fudge toward more width.

Offline TimothyR

• PM110782
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 08:00:51 pm »
ALB or ELB?

Either or both!  I have access to more boards like this one.  And the board I have has enough width to make at least 4 bows.
Freedom dies one compromise at a time. III%

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 08:32:07 pm »
I would go for an ALB design, 1 5/8 to 1 3/4 at the fade and tapering to 1/2 in tips about 12 inches from the tips, about 66 inches long as well.
Whatever you are, be a good one.