Author Topic: 1st bow, Board bow.  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Wobgnol

1st bow, Board bow.
« on: November 19, 2015, 01:40:29 pm »
So I am working on my 1st bow and I picked a nice 1x3 with straight grain and quarter sawn. but here in lies my problem. while shaping the bow with my drawknife the wood seems to be splintering out and the splinters are leaving gouges beneath the pulls of my draw knife as they come out. any tips?

Offline bubby

Re: 1st bow, Board bow.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 01:42:38 pm »
I never use a draw knife on a board bow I'll reduce what i can with a bandsaw or tablesaw and then use a farriers rasp to shape it up
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wobgnol

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:47:05 pm »
I dont wish to use any power tools but I will definetly put the draw knife up thank you.

Offline CavemanRob

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 01:53:26 pm »
I have the same problem on my first board bow.  Switch directions and its usually better, just due to the way the grain runs out.   I'd did what bubby said though and switched to a stanely sure-form, like a Sam Harper tutorial from poorfolksbows.
-Rob
"nobody owns you, nobody owes you"

Offline TimBo

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 01:54:54 pm »
If you don't have a farrier's rasp, a Stanley Surform is very handy for removing large amounts of wood fairly quickly. 

Offline Wobgnol

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 02:05:27 pm »
Thanks guys, just busted out the sureform. :) will post updates. any extra tips for thing greenhorn is more than welcome.

Offline bubby

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 02:41:51 pm »
You can also use a hatchet to remove the heavy wood but need to be carefull

Offline DavidV

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 03:43:35 pm »
Bench planes are made for this, much faster than a Surform and leaves a smoother surface.
Springfield, MO

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 03:52:57 pm »
I do what Rob does. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline bow101

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 05:30:09 pm »
I dont have a band saw but the table setup will get ya down to a workable thickness.  Then I use the belt sander, carefully and measure with calipers as I go and do my side tapering with a good sharp hand plane.  And Bob's your Uncle.  :)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline bushboy

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 05:41:52 pm »
Make the back as smooth as glass and round off any square edges before flexing also make sure to leave enough wood so it does not flex in the fade area if it is to be a rigid handle bow.good luck!
Some like motorboats,I like kayaks,some like guns,I like bows,but not the wheelie type.

Offline bubby

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 05:57:49 pm »
I never had any luck with a surform, as far as I'm concerned they aren't worth using

Offline CavemanRob

« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 06:33:23 pm »
I Actually broke a sure form trying to make a bow. The darn "blade" snapped right off the frame and broke those sorry little clips.
-Rob
"nobody owns you, nobody owes you"

Offline Knoll

• Mikey
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 07:06:23 pm »
After ya shape the front view profile. Look at resultant profile very carefully from different angles to be certain there's no deviation from a smooth profile. If you're like me, you'll see humps and dips. Smooth them out to help avoid stress concentrations.

Also, if it's a rigid-handle design, your fades need to be extended into the thickness of limbs. Otherwise there's good chance of your riser block popping off.

Good luck!
... alone in distant woods or fields, in unpretending sproutlands or pastures tracked by rabbits, even in a bleak and, to most, cheerless day .... .  I suppose that this value, in my case, is equivalent to what others get by churchgoing & prayer.  Hank Thoreau, 1857

Offline LittleBen

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 10:33:52 pm »
A farriers rasp is worth it's weight in gold to a bowyer. I got one a while back and can't believe I actually survived without one this long.

It wasn't that expensive. Man that thing can hog off wood. It was a little sharp in the handle but some sanding fixed that .... And wearing gloves .... You can really put some force into one of them, a lot more than your hands are gonna take without protection.

Cheers.