Author Topic: Steaming stain  (Read 1891 times)

Offline DC

Steaming stain
« on: November 17, 2015, 03:51:55 pm »
I have this stain where the steaming box stopped. There is a matching one on the other limb. It's quite a bit darker than the picture and goes right through the wood as it's been there through the whole tillering process. Is there anything that may fade it a bit? It's Ocean Spray.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Steaming stain
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 04:14:01 pm »
Is it totally dry yet? Those are moisture stains.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 04:17:15 pm »
Next time you steam and don't want that to happen, seal it with shellac first.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline DC

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 04:31:03 pm »
Yeah it's been dry for months. I steamed it when it was still damp I think. I always think of keeping records when it's too late.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 04:38:41 pm »
It will dis-color like that anytime you steam, dry or green. Steam is mean stuff.

Offline Weylin

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 09:21:28 pm »
Maybe that bow needs a dark stain. That will take care of that problem.

Also, good to know about the shellac. I will use that next time.

Offline DC

« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 09:25:14 pm »
Actually it's getting a stain at the moment, I'm fuming it. I tried a piece of OS a while back and was very surprised. All I'll say is i didn't think a wood that white would have so much tannin.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 09:32:39 pm »
And that's why I like to do it with a micro wave oven.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PatM

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 09:36:57 pm »
This is why two tone dye jobs blended together were invented.  :)
 Doesn't bother me actually.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 09:41:34 pm »
x2, PatM
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline wizardgoat

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2015, 01:17:39 am »
Lots of my yew bows have some steam staining in the sapwood and it doesn't really bother me. I wrap the part that rests on the pot with a rag, so at least it's not a "sunglass tan" stain

Offline DC

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 12:26:54 pm »
The last few times I've used plastic bags to steam in. It really works well but it does have abrupt ends. I guess that's it's weak point. I've been wrapping the bag on the stave with plastic tape. Maybe if I steal your idea and wrap it with a rag first and then tape the bag to the rag. Next time! Thanks Ryan

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 08:47:37 pm »
Steam alone shouldn't make a stain. It's just gaseous water not a pigment. The steam must have be a catalyst to another reaction. Hypothesis time :D!!

I would wager a guess that it's the natural wood oils/waxes being pushed to one spot by the steam. If not that then, a reaction with the metal of the pot, minerals in the water, and/or the steam. Was it tap water or distilled? Maybe try distilled and see if does the same thing. I suppose in a green stave there would also be minerals dissolved in the water the wood has pulled from the ground which could be pushed or discolored by the steam. That's a lot of variables to consider. It might be easier to leave it a mystery and deal with the stain.  :laugh:
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline PatM

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2015, 08:54:19 pm »
It very likely is just the steam pushing the natural pigments down the limb. Steamed areas tend to look  a bit washed out.

Offline DC

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2015, 12:41:49 pm »
I was using a steam generator for steaming clothes, all plastic. Our water is very pure. At work we had banks of batteries to maintain and we got tired of fussing with distilled. The boss sent away a sample of our tap water and it tested fine for batteries. So that leaves the steam pushing pigments etc. down the wood. I'm thinking that with the wood being greenish the heat expansion would push the internal moisture and pigments until it reached a cool spot. I think when I steam green wood from now on I will do the entire length. Thanks for the comments.