Author Topic: Good source for ipe  (Read 1246 times)

Offline ccase39

• Loving to learn
Good source for ipe
« on: November 19, 2015, 04:37:39 pm »
Anyone recommend a good source for Ipe? I recently bought a 1 by 6 and love the feel, smell, and weight of it. I have one bow tillered and looking quite nice but I can see a couple of compression fractures. It is the lighter colored stuff and I here the lighter color isn't as strong. It may be because my bamboo is to thick. I got most of it down to 1/8 inch but when I trimmed the boo from around the ipe I noticed a little of it wound up a bit over 1/8. I would also like to find a thinner piece. I see several websites but the prices vary greatly.
Reading
The Traditional Boyers Bible Vol 1
The Bent Stick

Working on bow #7

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Good source for ipe
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 04:43:34 pm »
There is a fella over on Tradgang that goes by "Tenbrook". he sells ipe/boo slat kits for fair prices, I'm told.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Sidmand

Re: Good source for ipe
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 09:56:12 am »
Ipe is sold as deck building material, and sometimes if you just snoop around you can find stores that sell "salvaged" wood from demolition jobs.  It's called "Brazilian Walnut" as a trade name as well.  We have a lumber yard that doesn some work demo'ing stuff and they keep some of the wood and sell it again, maybe you guys have something like that around your parts.
"Criticism is something we can avoid easily by saying nothing, doing nothing, and being nothing." --> Aristotle