Author Topic: 19th Tennessee Classic  (Read 81118 times)

Offline bentstick54

Re: 19th Tennessee Classic
« Reply #315 on: May 02, 2016, 09:46:54 pm »
Was there from Wednesday evening thru Sunday morning. Had a wonderful time. Met lots of new friends, learned alot, and enjoyed shooting with some of my new friends. I was amazed on how well things were run. My hats off to Pappy, Miss Joanie, and all the Twin Oaks crew for an exceptional job well done.
Definitely one of the best shoots I have ever attended. Twin Oaks is an amazing place, but it is the people that make it so. Not a finer bunch anywhere.
Thanks to all and with luck and God willing, I hope to be back. Brian

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #316 on: May 03, 2016, 04:08:36 am »
Thanks guys, glad yall enjoyed. I will have more pictures later, thanks for sharing yours and thanks for all the new friendships made this year. :) :) That's is what it is all about. ;)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Parnell

« Reply #317 on: May 03, 2016, 08:02:49 am »
I got home safely at 2 in the morning Monday.  Always a really long drive home, but well worth it.
It was, as always, lots of fun and great to see everyone.  I'll get some of my pictures up!

Thanks Pappy and crew!
1’—>1’

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #318 on: May 03, 2016, 08:27:30 am »
Pappy and the Twin Oaks folks put on another fantastic shoot.  The course was truly amazing and getting better every year.  One stage let you walk out of the woods into a field filled with caribou - they brought Alaska to Tennessee! ;D  Great job guys!!
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #319 on: May 03, 2016, 08:39:37 am »
Even though I didn't get there until Friday night, I made the most of the time I had.  Thanks to Dan for saving me a spot for my hammock, and to Greg and Sharron for feeding just after pulling in, it made me feel at home again. 

Pappy, the place has never looked better and your team did a hell of a job, can't thank you enough!

I met up with many old friends, and met some of my virtual PA friends like Outback Bob. We even got to twist out a hand drill fire, thx Bob. It was also great meeting RT and James, Pat B and a bunch more of the PA brethren.

For me the highlight of this year's classic was being able to pass on friction fire knowledge. It started Saturday night with James Parker doing a great job of showing a group the finer points on making hand drill fires "in really most conditions". Then we broke out the bow drill and had seven or eight people make their first friction fires. Matt Wirwicki built his first friction fire that night, which was special to me because Matt helped me make my first bow.

What I really enjoyed most was helping Robin "RT" make his first friction fire. After several attempts Saturday night, we went back at it Sunday morning and Robin turned out a nice ember and blue it into flames.  The look on his face was priceless.

I didn't get any pics of that, but I know some were taken, so if sometime could post them that would be great.

So now the countdown begins for the 20th TN Classic, only about 362 days  :'(

Cheers,
Ed "Forest Farmer"
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #320 on: May 03, 2016, 12:27:45 pm »
Ed, I'm one person that got my first friction fire with your tools and instructions. What a thrill it was for me. I never got beyond the smoke stage before. It was good to see you again even though we didn't see much of each other last year. Hopefully those 300+ days will fly and we can all get together again
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Forest_Farmer

• The best things in life are not things,,,,,,!
« Reply #321 on: May 03, 2016, 02:47:52 pm »
That's right Pat ,I now remember your beaming smile after you easily got flame.

We took a 12" spindle and wore it down to 5" pretty quick, there was a lot of smoke being made that night.   

When I plan a trip to Asheville this summer I'll send you a PM, hopefully we'll have time to meet up in NC.

Cheers,
Ed
When I stop learning please put me in a box!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #322 on: May 03, 2016, 04:05:41 pm »
Ed, if you are in the area at the end of July(29,30,31) that's when I have the primitive skills weekend. You'd fit right in. It's just a small, intimate gathering(10 to 15 folks) but we always have lots of fun.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badly Bent

« Reply #323 on: May 03, 2016, 07:27:13 pm »
Well we had a great time on our annual pilgrimage to the TN Classic, fantastic hospitality by the whole twin oaks crew once again.
I didn't get any pictures and can't point to any one highlight as it was all good fun and no low moments to be had.

My grandson came along for the first time and had a great time himself. When he wasn't in the creek with his newly made young friends or shooting arrows he was hanging around the knapping pit asking questions of the pros. Stringman and Bowmo each gave the youngster a beautifully knapped point which really excited him, and Iowa Bow took time to give him his first knapping lesson and sent him home with a bone flaker and some stone to practice on. Thanks guys for being so kind and generous to him, he is really fascinated with rocks and points and even more so now thanks to getting some encouragement from you fellas.

Thanks again Pappy and crew.
I ain't broke but I'm badly bent.

Offline TomC

« Reply #324 on: May 03, 2016, 09:14:46 pm »
All I can say is WOW! This was my first Tennessee Classic.  It will definitely not be my last.  Had an amazing time.  Pappy and friends made me feel right at home.  Met a lot of great people.  Got to build my first selfbow.  The property was awesome.  The course setups were incredible.  The food was delicious...especially the Pappy Burger! What a great experience.  Thank you Twin Oaks.  Thank you Pappy and Joanie.  Thanks to my buddies at Hawkeye for including me on this trip.

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #325 on: May 04, 2016, 12:44:20 am »
As always, I had a great time 👍...got me fired up to knap again 😄... Pappy and crew... Thankya!... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #326 on: May 04, 2016, 06:06:38 am »
Thanks again, I posted all my pictures on Life is good, check them out when you get a chance and share some of yours. :)
 Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline bowmo

« Reply #327 on: May 04, 2016, 10:44:26 am »
I had a great time. Tough place to pack up and leave.

Offline ---GUTSHOT--->

« Reply #328 on: May 04, 2016, 12:48:35 pm »
Enjoyed my first Classic. To bad I could only be there Saturday only. I plan on next year 2-3 days at least. Enjoyed the 3-D course and meeting everybody. Pappy hope you enjoy your molasses. See everybody next year.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #329 on: May 04, 2016, 11:42:21 pm »
Pappy, Miss Joanie and the whole twin oaks crew...you can add my sincere gratitude for putting on a great event and putting up with this wayward trucker for a few days.  I highly enjoyed myself...as always at twinoaks.  Pappy did you get a chance to sample that cider?  Josh