Author Topic: Frying Pan  (Read 15748 times)

Offline bow101

Frying Pan
« on: November 20, 2015, 02:28:03 pm »
Seems like so many people are allergic to using the frying pan for cooking meat.  Recently I cooked top sirloin and chicken breast in the pan and it turned out just as well as any top chef restaurant..  :)  I could cut the chicken with a dull fork.......... ;)  Most people will only BQ or oven cook their meat. ......  ??? ::)
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Frying Pan
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 04:46:09 pm »
Anyone reaches for my cast iron will draw back a broken and bloody stump.  >:(
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline chamookman

« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:15:15 am »
I agree Jdub. My favorite gets used regularly - better that any of those "T Fal" so called no-stick pans. Bob
"May the Gods give Us the strength to draw the string to the cheek, the arrow to the barb and loose the flying shaft, so long as life may last." Saxon Pope - 1923.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 09:28:15 am »
A well seasoned cast iron skillet works well for all sorts of stuff. That's all I use for cornbread. Pre heat the pan first in the oven while mixing the ingredients. Retain the oil and add it to the hot pan and pour in the ingredients and into the oven. This way you get a nice crispy crust on the outside of the cornbread.
  It works well for stove top cooking steaks too. When I worked in a restaurant I learned to cook steaks on the flat top and not on the grill.
When I cook a venison backstrap I sear the meat all around first on the stove top in a very hot case iron skillet with a little olive oil then 15 minutes in the oven at 350. When that's done I set the meat aside and deglaze the pan with beef bullion then add a shot of bourbon and some heavy cream, a little salt and black pepper. The meat will be medium rare. After cutting the meat into medallions any juices will be added to the sauce. If medium rare isn't cooked enough for you just add it to the sauce in the pan for a minute.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:34:30 pm »
If medium rare isn't cooked enough for you just ...

...get the h**l away from my table.

There ain't no call for ruining a good piece of meat by turning it to leather.

Offline Danzn Bar

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 06:08:34 pm »
Now Jdub..............it all about the cut of meat and type of meat your cooking....................
DBar
Integrity is doing the right thing when no one is looking

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 01:17:35 am »

I only cook in Cast Iron, Stainless, ceramic, or glass pots, and pans.  I have multiple cast iron, pans, and a small pot, I fry in, and nice dutch oven, or two.  All seasoned.  I will not have any non stick, toxic, stuff, or aluminum cooking products.  If an appliance has an aluminum central cooking unit, instead of stainless, I won't buy it.  I have two mild steel woks, that I cook in the most, but I will sometimes, use the woks, and the cast iron skillets, together.  Depends on what I am cooking.  As for steaks, nice and bloody!  I don't care for boulion, as it is mostly chemicals.  I will use organic broth, or make my own.  But I have been known to cook a steak on the stove top, in a cast iron skillet, quite a few times.  As for corn bread, I was brought up on Southern style cornbread, not the Yankee style, we got in school.  Dang, Pat, now I am hungry again, thanks a lot! >:(

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 02:36:05 pm »

I only cook in Cast Iron, Stainless, ceramic, or glass pots, and pans.  I have multiple cast iron, pans, and a small pot, I fry in, and nice dutch oven, or two.  All seasoned.  I will not have any non stick, toxic, stuff, or aluminum cooking products.  If an appliance has an aluminum central cooking unit, instead of stainless, I won't buy it.  I have two mild steel woks, that I cook in the most, but I will sometimes, use the woks, and the cast iron skillets, together.  Depends on what I am cooking.  As for steaks, nice and bloody!  I don't care for boulion, as it is mostly chemicals.  I will use organic broth, or make my own.  But I have been known to cook a steak on the stove top, in a cast iron skillet, quite a few times.  As for corn bread, I was brought up on Southern style cornbread, not the Yankee style, we got in school.  Dang, Pat, now I am hungry again, thanks a lot! >:(

Wayne

Homemade broth is scheduled for early December.  I am going to take the entire skeleton of my buck, roast the bones, crack'em with a hammer, and into the big 5 gal pot to be simmered with celery, onion, carrots, and a bouquet of herbs.  The stock will then be canned in pint and quarts for later use.  By the time I am done with this deer and throw out what's left in the woods, a mangy coyote will be highly disappointed!

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 04:52:51 pm »
I pan fry rare steaks by heating a bare cast iron skillet with only salt in it. When it's real hot throw the steak in, the salt and heat sears in the juices. Flip it in a couple minutes, and the other side usually seals up, too. Press to feel the doneness, I don't cut it, and when it feels right yer done.

Seems like it would be too salty, but the salt mostly doesn't stick. If you're on low sodium, of course, this isn't the way to go, but otherwise, try it some time. Pan cleanup is usually easy.

If you do like a sauce of course, other ways are better w/deglazing. But a pure steak this way is better, and juicier than broiled, to me. And it's super easy.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline rover brewer

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2015, 09:48:24 pm »
cast iron is all I use and never use a microwave even if I'm reheating. iron wok which is used the most .
john 3:16

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 07:37:13 am »
I'm getting hungry reading this.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2016, 04:52:32 am »
I have a 6 piece set of Griswold cast iron that has never left Erie, except when I take a couple camping.

Nothing beats cherry or apple crisp at the campfire dutch oven style. If I could only find a way to make vanilla ice cream in the woods, I would have no further use for society.
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 01:26:25 pm »
I have a 6 piece set of Griswold cast iron that has never left Erie, except when I take a couple camping.

Nothing beats cherry or apple crisp at the campfire dutch oven style. If I could only find a way to make vanilla ice cream in the woods, I would have no further use for society.

I got a hand crank icecream maker. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2016, 01:48:51 pm »
You could make vanilla flavored whip cream in a chilled cast iron pan and a whisk.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2016, 02:03:46 pm »
You could make vanilla flavored whip cream in a chilled cast iron pan and a whisk.  ;)

oh yeah!