Author Topic: Frying Pan  (Read 15745 times)

Offline Dakota Kid

• Maker of Things
Re: Frying Pan
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2016, 02:27:35 am »
I suppose all you need is salted ice, and maybe a double walled cooler. New menu item this year.

I may end up taking a few of those camp host positions if I have access to ice cream. ;D
I have nothing but scorn for all weird ideas other than my own.
~Terrance McKenna

Grasshopper Mouse

« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2016, 09:13:08 pm »
Today's shock.
A friend of mine is getting divorced and has decided that he needs to learn his way around the kitchen so he doesn't have to go out all the time to eat. I've been giving him some pointers on cooking and recommendations for tools. Today I sent him an email saying that cast iron frying pans are really handy and if he needs a couple to let me know and I'll keep an eye out for some good ones.
Here's what he sent back to me:
"Would you believe that I threw away all of those cast iron frying pans?"

I just about defecated a masonry product.
An hour later he called me and admitted that they were in storage and he was just pulling my leg.
Friends...  :o

Guy

Offline Gsulfridge

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 02:56:26 pm »
I just got into cast iron recently. I now have an assortment of Griswold, Wagner, BSR, and single notch Lodge skillets. Absolutely the best cornbread, fried taters, and fried chicken. Dutch oven chili on the campfire is hard to beat as well.
Greg Sulfridge, Lafollette, TN

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 03:01:56 pm »
I just got into cast iron recently. I now have an assortment of Griswold, Wagner, BSR, and single notch Lodge skillets. Absolutely the best cornbread, fried taters, and fried chicken. Dutch oven chili on the campfire is hard to beat as well.

Glad you are moving up in the world!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JacksonCash

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2016, 04:20:18 pm »
All I ever see new is Lodge, and I've gotten some mixed reviews on them, so I've stayed clear. I've not been lucky enough to find more than a small 6" skillet in my rummage sale travels so far, but man does it make good cornbread. Reminds me I need to reseason that little bugger- sister in law 'helped' out and cleaned up our dishes- my poor cornbread pan now suffers from surface rust.

Offline Lumberman

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2016, 04:45:08 pm »
A well seasoned cast iron skillet works well for all sorts of stuff. That's all I use for cornbread. Pre heat the pan first in the oven while mixing the ingredients. Retain the oil and add it to the hot pan and pour in the ingredients and into the oven. This way you get a nice crispy crust on the outside of the cornbread.
  It works well for stove top cooking steaks too. When I worked in a restaurant I learned to cook steaks on the flat top and not on the grill.
When I cook a venison backstrap I sear the meat all around first on the stove top in a very hot case iron skillet with a little olive oil then 15 minutes in the oven at 350. When that's done I set the meat aside and deglaze the pan with beef bullion then add a shot of bourbon and some heavy cream, a little salt and black pepper. The meat will be medium rare. After cutting the meat into medallions any juices will be added to the sauce. If medium rare isn't cooked enough for you just add it to the sauce in the pan for a minute.
Good grief reading that got my mouth start watering...actually my eyes a little too, weird, deer meat is what we live on here. My go to is  onion and garlic simmering in olive oil or sometimes butter deer meat goes on along with the lid until cooked through, lid comes off for a minute or two and then onto the plate, I really appreciate pasta so noodles tossed in the pan with it for another minute is my favorite, though any sides will be joyously consumed. I am just lazy when it comes it to sides, thank God for a wife who can cook!

Offline PaulN/KS

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »
Got a 2# venison roast slow cooking in the cast iron Dutch oven right now, kind of a carne asada.  :)
I have a lot of good old cast iron. The flat, smooth bottom pans are for use in the house, we have a ceramic top electric stove, and the ridged type pans are in the camp box.

Offline bow101

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2016, 01:44:16 pm »
Lots of good stuff here, like I said if Yaaaaaaaaa can't cook meat like a pro in a Frying pan you might as well throw the stove away...... >:D >:D
Although I did some organic top sirloin on the BQ the other day and it melted in my mouth.  Medium Well meeee son.. >:D
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are."  Joseph Campbell

Offline JoJoDapyro

• Subscription Number PM109294
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2016, 05:01:05 pm »
Being a cook in a previous life I'll say this. Most places you get a steak are cooked on a flat top, and then lines are burned with the char rock. They aren't "Cooked" on an open flame. Broiling is also a great way to cook a steak, and very under utilized. I use the barbeque mostly to keep the heat down in the house.
If you always do what you always did you'll always get what you always got.
27 inch draw, right handed. Bow building and Knapping.