Author Topic: Drying time for rose shoots  (Read 2992 times)

keekeerun

Drying time for rose shoots
« on: February 15, 2008, 09:38:46 pm »
I cut some multiflora rose shoots a week ago, they seem to be drying quickly, how long does it usually take for them to dry.  I also cut some forsylthia shoots, they are coming out quite straight and I think they will be a nice shaft.  I have'nt heard of any forsylthia shoots suggested for arrow shafts but I think these will come out fine.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
Re: Drying time for rose shoots
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:47:52 pm »
Usually a month or two of drying will make them usable, just depends on the humidity and temp. Whenever they dry enough to spring back to shape when you bend them, they're getting dry. If you bend them and they stay bent, they're still too wet.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

keekeerun

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 11:12:09 am »
Thanks Hillbilly. I just did some more straightening and I think they need some more drying time.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 01:18:29 pm »
You can continue to straighten them as they dry and will have to use very little heat for final straightening.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline david w.

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 01:32:59 pm »
i debark mine as soon as i get them, but i leave the last coupple inches of bark on the end. I have had no problems with them checking
These pretzels are making me thirsty.

if it dont go fast...chrome it - El Destructo

keekeerun

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 08:06:25 pm »
I debarked them right away, I can see only one starting to check, but they are cut 36 inches long, so I have room to play with, hopefully I'll be able to save the one checking. THANK YA.