Author Topic: Bad day hunting...  (Read 4888 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Bad day hunting...
« on: November 20, 2015, 05:23:27 pm »
...is a bad day, still. 

Everything conspired yesterday.  When I finally was able to leave the house, I had only a few hours before sunset and a call came in.  It was a woman with a redtail hawk in her yard. When I got there, the bird was grounded with a broken wing.  She said she only called me because after a week in her 6 ft privacy fenced micro-yard, she was worried because the hawk would not eat any of the bread she was throwing out. SMH.  The bird was so far gone it had no chance and I had to euthanize.

Got to the spot I was headed for and in no time a brigade of orange wearing people on the backs of 4 wheelers came driving thru.  There was no trail nearby!  Furthermore this was a no motorized vehicle zone!  I moved to the next spot, whatdya know, guys unloading 4 wheelers off trailors. 

Went to a fallback position and ended up stalking into the sun with the wind at my back. <insert sarcasm font here> Hooray!  I had 30 minutes to sundown and was distracted with trying to make time to get to a spot to sit and rattle when I stumbled, dropped my Steiner binos...AND BROKE THEM!  Look for my upcoming thread in the trading post, I am offering not one, but TWO Steiner 8x42 monoculars. 

I called Steiner today to ask if they could be repaired.  The young man, Bill, on the customer service line began by asking detailed questions.  He then explained that the break sounds like the high impact resistant plastic bushing is designed to take a lifetime of hard use in the field and is integral to the frame of the two tubes. Consequently, it cannot be repaired. Furthermore, if I dropped them so hard that the hinges broke, I likely jarred the internals loose and they would be junk anyway.  He apologized and told me that they would not fix my binos.  He then asked for my email address.  I said, no thanks, I don't want to get their advertising since I can no longer afford to purchase their product, even if the quality justifies the price.  He laughed at me.  The customer service rep had THE NERVE TO LAUGH AT ME, THE CUSTOMER, OVER THE PHONE!!!

I almost let him have it. That's when he said he needed to send me the warranty return form so they could replace them brand new.  I said I was at fault for dropping them, it wasn't their product's failure.  He said, "So what?  Those hinges have lifetime warranty.  WE believe in our product so that in the end, YOU can, too."

I tell ya, I am a fan of Steiner products, sure.  But now I believe in the company's service, too.  And just to prove he was a company man, he suggested I go to their website, click on accessories, and purchase the harness system....that way I won't drop the next pair! 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PrimitiveTim

Re: Bad day hunting...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 06:56:35 pm »
Well, I guess it could have been worse.  I hope you told that halfwit lady to watch some Primitive Tim so she could learn a little about nature.  Can't DNR do anything about the guys on 4 wheelers?
Florida to Kwajalein to Turkey and back in Florida again.  Good to be home but man was that an adventure!

Offline le0n

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 07:54:50 pm »
^^ "break the hinges"...

got it! ;D

i kid, hah hah.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 06:24:27 pm »
Yep that's not fun.I've had my troubles with an outfitter across the fence here too before.In the rut they'll be moving any time of the day.Even right at dinner time.You might want to get there earlier in the day.You might have snow now.We do here.You'll have to put on the long johns.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 05:25:39 pm »
Well, I guess it could have been worse.  I hope you told that halfwit lady to watch some Primitive Tim so she could learn a little about nature.  Can't DNR do anything about the guys on 4 wheelers?

Sad thing, she works for the National Forest Service.  *sigh*

We have exactly one law enforcement officer for all of the 1.25 million acres of the Black Hills National Forest.  I have learned that if I cannot provide all the evidence necessary for a conviction in court, to not even call them.  These people know they are breaking the law and IF their rigs are licensed for the road, they take the plates off when they ride off trails.  Short of getting a serial number off the engine or frame of the rig, I have no way of helping law enforcement.

Yep that's not fun.I've had my troubles with an outfitter across the fence here too before.In the rut they'll be moving any time of the day.Even right at dinner time.You might want to get there earlier in the day.You might have snow now.We do here.You'll have to put on the long johns.

We are at the historical peak of the rut, Ed.  AND we got snow on the ground.  Something happened yesterday and I am working on getting that posted.  <Now posted http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,55077.msg748188.html#msg748188>
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:10:46 pm by JW_Halverson »

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 10:04:08 pm »
One Officer? Whoo, hoo, see you in the Spring.LOL
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 03:45:29 pm »

Same here one Wild life officer, a couple of game biologists.

Wayne

Offline bowandarrow473

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 06:45:52 pm »
Who in their right mind feeds a bird of prey BREAD!!??!?

Sorry that those things had to happen to you, sounds like a real bad day.
Whatever you are, be a good one.

Offline Little John

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 06:07:15 pm »
Glad you will get new bionics, we have trouble here with four wheelers also and the same problems with enforcement  also. Am considering spiking the trail but probably my self or a horse would be the one  to get into the spikes. Hang in there it can only get better.     Kenneth
May all of your moments afield with bow in hand please and satisfy you.            G. Fred Asbell

Offline Marks

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 11:23:22 am »
We talked about tying a fishing line between 2 small pine tree saplings once for the ATV boys. Not high enough to clothesline them. Just low enough so when their ATV hit it the 2 pines would whip in and smack them on boths side of head.  >:D We don't want to injure anyone. We just want to help Karma along. We never did it of course.

It is always frustrating when you walk 0:30-1hr (or more depending on where you live) into an area to hunt undisturbed areas only to see ATV tracks all over the place.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2015, 11:34:52 am »
So you're not allowed to shoot ATV guys in Orange jackets?
And there's me thinking you guys had liberal gun laws ::)  ;)
Maybe they'll get in trouble and the nutty hawk lady will "look after them" like in the Stephen King book >:D... we can only hope.
I feel you pain JW...
I'm going stir crazy over here and mother nature doesn't know what season it is... we have snowdrops out and rhubarb sprouting up ???.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2015, 12:21:57 am »
Mmmmm, rhubarb!  Love that stuff.