Author Topic: Texas rock run  (Read 5010 times)

Offline Josh B

Texas rock run
« on: November 22, 2015, 03:04:09 pm »
Spent the weekend in Texas and decided to pick up a little rock.  I would've liked to pick up more, but I ran out of room.  This will take me awhile to heat treat anyway.  It doesn't look like much in the pic, but there's 8 to 10 Turkey roaster batches there.  Josh

Offline nclonghunter

Re: Texas rock run
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 03:37:18 pm »
Do you cook that whole or can/will you knock out bifaces before heating?
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 05:08:35 pm »
Not a bad haul.  Where in TX ??
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Chippintuff

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 05:57:26 pm »
If that behaves like similar bull gravel I have heated here (probably from LaGrange, TX), there will be little of it fit for anything after cooking it whole. When I slice it into slabs, it can take more heat than my turkey roaster will put out, and a lot of it flakes beautifully.

WA

Offline iowabow

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:36:51 pm »
Looks like it already has good color.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Josh B

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2015, 12:46:07 am »
I really have no idea where it originated.  It's landscaping rock that one of my customers in Houston lets me pick through.  Most of this batch is about the size of large bifaces with little to no cortex remaining.  Those I will cook whole.  The bigger stuff will get spawled out first.  The pink color is just the reflection off my red truck.  There are a few rootbeer colored cobbles in the pile.  But most of it is shades of tan and gray.  Josh

Offline le0n

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 02:12:18 am »
is it rock the from landscaping at the business he works at, or does he supply landscaping material to the houston area?

just wondering because i work in houston.

Offline iowabow

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:30:13 am »
Ok it has a color reflecting from the truck! There goes my it is "magical Texas Tower rock" you know the kind that allows for super super thin amazing points. :) :)
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 08:38:03 am »
Heat it up. It works great.  It's probably dredged from the Brazos, Colorado,or Trinity river.  That rock can have the most amazing colors when heated.   I usually spall & biface before I heat it up.   Great haul!!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline 1442

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2015, 11:58:57 am »
I like that rock. Looks like my pile.
The rootbeer colored ones are my favorite and what I look for mostly.
goodluck with it.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 03:48:59 pm »
I managed to get about 20 lbs. heat treated over the weekend.  I only treated the smaller stuff that was no more than a couple inches thick.  I didn't do any bifacing or spalling and it came out pretty good.  The bigger stuff will get spalled out before I try it.  I slowly ramped up to 400 in 50 degree increments over a 12 hr period and then let it soak for 15 hrs. I then brought it back down the same way that I brought it up.  I even got gutsy enough to heat treat a little of the coral Eddie sent me a couple yrs ago.  That came out real nice as well.  I'm probably going to have a little time to knap today since the Kenebago crapped out on me again. >:(  Josh
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 05:21:53 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 07:24:51 pm »
Nice!.... Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....