Author Topic: Hometown Point  (Read 1243 times)

Offline nclonghunter

Hometown Point
« on: November 22, 2015, 09:10:51 pm »
I was working an ABO point tonight and as it thinned and shaped I realized it would make a good Adena style point. The Adena Mounds are found along the Ohio River where I grew up looking for artifacts. Many of the points I found were Adena points and I remember rolling them in my hand and looking at the flake scars and wondering how did they do it. Tonight I realized working with antler and stone that I am making points in a very similar way that they may have. At least, I am making points that look very muck like what I used to ponder over. It was an interesting and moving moment. I have been so involved in learning and seeking that I really hadn't realized I had learned what motivated me years ago. I also know there is a lot more to learn and a lot more rock to break and make.

It would be interesting for PA knappers or anyone to make a point or two that they commonly found growing up in their hometown...WE come from all over, so it should be a variety of points.
There are no bad knappers, only bad flakes

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Hometown Point
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:32 pm »
Looks like one you would find on the ground. Very, cool. I've replicated some points from Florida but the main reason I started knapping was to make points to hunt with.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:57 pm »
Very cool idea
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline 1442

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2015, 11:40:55 am »
Very good point and story.
Finding a point was what got me started in knapping, just wondering how they did it.
I got all grown before I found it when we evacuated from a hurricane Rita.
San Patrice and Evans points are some of my favorites to find and make.

Offline turbo

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2015, 01:58:41 pm »
Nice job and I'll add; cool idea. It's funny you picked an Adena, they're one of my favorites too, growing up in Pennsylvania. My favorite point in my collection is an Adena beavertail that my dad found made out of Onondaga chert.