Author Topic: arrow selfnocks  (Read 2802 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
arrow selfnocks
« on: December 12, 2015, 08:06:33 am »
I was wondering here if anyone ever had this occur.All I ever shoot is self nocks.Now there are times when I'm shooting alot,and there will always be some number of arrows that you really really like.You shoot them alot.Seems every great once in awhile the nock will begin to loosen,but the serving is good and waxed too.Like it's getting worn abit.I don't like that too much.What I've done is put superglue in there and refiled with the little round file to get them to snap onto the serving good again,or an arrow that flies really nice that has a loose nock to begin with.Another thing is that I'll put horn inserts and the horn does'nt wear.Does anyone have a different solution for this?Maybe nobody has had it happen or they make new arrows.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: arrow selfnocks
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 08:37:57 am »
I make my self nocks loose anyway so I haven't noticed it.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 09:27:56 am »
Maybe I should of explained farther.When I'm in the stand I like to have the arrow nocked onto the string as I'm waiting for my shot.Readjustments standing and sitting with a loose nock can sometimes end up with the arrow coming loose and onto the ground if you are'nt careful.
BowEd
Ed

Ruddy Darter

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:30:57 am »
 If my arrows ever do become loose while I'm out shooting I rub around the nock point on the string with a bit of beeswax and build it up some and smooth it over with my finger, gets the fit snug again and lasts quite well for a few arrows, works well for me.

Ruddy Darter. (Post edited)

« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:17:05 pm by Ruddy Darter »

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2015, 09:40:39 am »
I make 'em shaped like a key hole, firm to push on, but loose once they are on the string.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/nocks-points-glues-stuff.html
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2015, 11:08:21 am »
Ed, my bow is always in my hand when I'm on stand, either sitting or standing, the arrow is on the string and my arrow hand ready to shoot at any time.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2015, 11:36:24 am »
   I just build my sring up with sinew untill my arrows tight. I have built in snap nocks if the shoots big enough. I  some people perfer those.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline DC

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2015, 12:50:42 pm »
You can heat them up and give them a little squeeze to close them up. It gets a little tricky around the fletching though :-[

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »
You can heat them up and give them a little squeeze to close them up. It gets a little tricky around the fletching though :-[

Now that is something I had not thought of....hmmm.

I have built up an overly generous nock by wetting with TBIII and pushing a piece of paper into the nock.  The paper and glue hardens and a little trimming and sanding finishes the job.  Ain't perty, but works.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2015, 04:10:20 pm »
Well yea.Thanks fellas.I'm gonna bear them ideas in mind.There's a fella here that drives a very small little finish nail into the belly side of the handle then takes a small rubber band around the shaft while the arrow is on the string.Holds his shaft tight to the bow.It releases itself when he shoots.When your sitting in 15 degrees weather sometimes you want your hands in your pockets.....lol.Even with thin gloves on.
BowEd
Ed