Author Topic: Forged wood arrows  (Read 3328 times)

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Forged wood arrows
« on: November 24, 2015, 09:59:10 am »
It might be unheard of any more but are these forged wood arrow shafts[compressed POC densasieized?] available any more nowadays?Maybe someone has a line on these.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
Re: Forged wood arrows
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2015, 10:13:28 am »
Sorry can't spell good I mean densitized arrow shafts.I'm sure if they are available they would be expensive probably.
BowEd
Ed

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2015, 10:29:15 am »
I haven't heard of those in a long time.. I had won a vhs tape on the production of them 20 years ago.. Some fellow in Oregon can't remember his name... I could be wrong but I believe he has passed on
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2015, 11:25:21 am »
Rouge River Archery in Southern Oregon used to sell compressed, fire killed POC shafts, some with full taper and some parallel. I know they changed hands a few years ago so I don't know if they are still making them. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline willie

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2015, 01:23:11 pm »
Apparently there are a few left here.....Alaska Frontier Archery

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 09:11:42 am »
Have any of you guys shot or fooled with these type arrows?To get some comments on their weight and durability.Alaska Frontier Archery....thanks....I'll google it.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 09:18:31 am »
Yeppers Alaska frontier Archery's got Mt. Hemlock shafts that are heavy.It's called forged wood.Got a phone no. too to talk to them personally.Thanks a heap willie!!!!!!!
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 06:01:59 pm »
Got some ordered.....yea!!!!!.They are'nt cheap even though he's having a closing out sale.He's selling everything including his equipment and all.I hear the old archers talk so much about this I've got to try it.Got a feeling too yet though good old dogwood is hard to beat.The forged Mt. hemlock shafts are 21/64".A shade over 5/16".650 to 670 grain at 55 to 60 spine.32" long.They are seconds.He's sold all the elite ones already.One thing though is that if one is'nt straight it's a no no to try to put it over heat to straighten it out.It will swell up.To straighten them use the palm method.They should not have a water base varnish put on them either.
BowEd
Ed

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 07:20:46 pm »
Got the shafts the other day here.They sure are hard dense heavy buggers.....lol.Compressed Mt. hemlock.There must be up to 20 to 25 rings in some of the shafts.Almost so close you can't count them.They are compressed 3 times more on the tip end tapering in compression to 1.8 times to the nock end making them natural front of center balanced shafts.They are straight.Stipulations with them though.They cannot be heated or get excessively wet,They will swell up into an oval.Soooo they need to be finished with a lacquer or something like that.No water base finish.
BowEd
Ed

Offline willie

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 11:13:45 pm »
be interesting to hear what you think of them when you get to shoot them some

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 07:25:36 am »
Yes they are a very heavy natural shaft being just a shade over 5/16" thickness.I shoot close to 700 grain shafts here many times[dogwoods,footed douglas fir,and believe it or not multi flora rose is over 700 grains too],but now they are all 11/32" to 23/64".These will be into the 700 to 800 region.Thinner,and around 30" long.I will keep you updated.

BowEd
Ed