Author Topic: Here are some Photos of old Yumi bow  (Read 8977 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Here are some Photos of old Yumi bow
« on: November 26, 2015, 01:44:31 pm »
Came across this old Yumi bow listed on the big online auction site. The photos show interesting detail. Looks like a nice example of a well crafted Yumi.

Thought I would share.

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Newindian

Re: Here are some Photos of old Yumi bow
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »
can anybody make-out whats written on it
I like free stuff.

Offline DC

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2015, 02:48:15 pm »
I think it says "Made in the USA" >:D >:D >:D

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2015, 02:59:07 pm »
Yea....Different there.How wide is that?
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 09:28:06 pm »
Thank you for that -- I'm very interested in kyudo. Totally out of reach for me, but it's really great to see the details in a real yumi.
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PatM

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 09:39:02 pm »
I guess the Japanese don't buy the needle tip theory.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2015, 01:21:50 am »
I noticed that too Pat. I am wondering if it is less crucial for performance in a bow that is 80+ " long. The tips in a bow of that length don't have to travel far, even to accommodate the typically long draw of this style of archery. If not hindering speed too much, the benefit of stabilizing the bow might be worth it. A small amount of extra mass in the tips would provide significant stabilizing force when the tips happen to be that far from the handle.

Beadman, I have no idea, but guessing from the photo showing the door knob, it looks somewhere near an inch wide.
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline PatM

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2015, 05:53:26 am »
Jaap Koppedrayer might have an idea as to the origins of the bow. Steve Thomson is on here and may have some ideas as well. He was an apprentice to Jaap.
 These bows are typically very narrow according to Steve. An inch is about right.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2015, 01:46:06 pm »
Jaap should be able to shed some light on this bow.

Look at that reflex! I am guessing it is every bit of 8"
By the way, a basic description of the bow listed it as 84" long.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2015, 12:18:48 pm »
Well, looks like I am the new owner of this bow. I made an offer on it, much less than the fellow was asking, but still much more than I have to spend on bows...and he accepted it.
I will share more pictures and details once the big box arrives.

The seller added this information provided by a collector:
I have some information about the yumi that you have on ebay. I have been collecting samurai weaponry of all types for the past 25 years and I have been studying kyudo for a while now. The bow that you have is more than likely from the Showa era (1926-1989). Probably WWII vintage. It is made in what is called Sanmaiuchi (Three layers) construction. It consists of a hardwood center base (traditionally catalpa wood) with layers of bamboo on the front and back. It would be considered a beginner's bow due to the low ratio of bamboo to hardwood. A yumi with a large amount of bamboo (80%+) can be broken if it is drawn and shot incorrectly just once. These types of bows with a large hardwood core allow for more errors in pull and release so that beginners could progress up until they would acquire a primarily bamboo bow.
A couple other things to note. You have the dexterity for the yumi down as "both." That is not possible. Yumi are always held in the left hand and drawn with the right. The number 3 stamp makes me think that it is a late 1930's - early 1940's Naval Academy bow as they didn't start using western numerals until that time on military swords. The number 3 could refer to its length (Sansun) or its draw weight (13 kgs?) or simply an inventory number. I assume that the length measurement was taken in a straight line from tip to tip? The correct way to measure a yumi is just like a western bow where one goes from tip to tip along the string side of the bow. My guess is that the actual length would fall in the 87"- 90" range. That info would be very helpful in your listing. Kyudo was taught in the Japanese military and my feeling is still that this is a bow for a new recruit."

Well, in terms of yumi bows, I guess I am a new recruit.

Offline PlanB

• SRHacksaw
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2015, 01:02:07 pm »
Wow, you bought it, Carson!

Funny I just planted a catalpa tree in the yard, just because I like them, not for bow wood. I did once look up catalpa's strength vs stiffness properties as a wood, and it seemed then like it was one of the lowest rated . But used as a web in 3 layers, maybe it has a particular positive quality for that purpose which made it preferred traditionally in a yumi.  It must have. So that's something to think about. Kyudo and the yumi is a very interesting subject to me. Would like to read how the recruiting goes!
I love it when a plan B comes together....

Offline PatM

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2015, 01:13:36 pm »
Makes you wonder if it's really Catalpa used as a core. Most sources seem to mention mulberry.
  Interestingly Catalpa and Ipe are in the same family. Hard to find two woods les alike.

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2015, 05:12:31 pm »
I noticed that the rind seems to still be on the Bamboo but the nodes have been taken down
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline sumpitan

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 02:49:04 am »
I'd steer clear of any needle-tipped styling with a very long and narrow bow having a huge reflex, Yumi or not. I think the relatively massive tips are all about stability aka dependability. They're only an inch or so wide, anyway, given the narrow design.

Tuukka

Offline Urufu_Shinjiro

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2015, 01:52:37 pm »
Do you plan on repairing the delaminations and shooting this thing or just to put on the wall?