Author Topic: branch wood issues?  (Read 5532 times)

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: branch wood issues?
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2015, 02:04:09 pm »
Hello everyone, this subject has interested me for years and it seems it is hard to get the head around it. I just made a yew branch bow amd it does opposite to what Willie just described. When I put the bow in the front room (not even close to the wood burner) it will increase its reflex by at least a couple of inches over night and when i leave it in a cold damper room it straightens out....this bow was made with the sky facing wood as the belly....simply because if I did it the other way around then the bow would have had a large natural deflex, which I didnt want.
the problem is most branches bend downwards giving a natural deflex if the sky facing wood is used as a back....

dave
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline willie

Re: branch wood issues?
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2015, 02:40:06 pm »
dave
If I understand you correctly, our bows are acting in the same directions with the dry/moist cycle, but "shouln't" because I have the compression wood on the belly and you have it on the back?

I will agree that I am having a hard time getting my head around it also

Perhaps I will post my bow a bit later, and I hope you can comment more on yours

willie