Author Topic: antler bopper what size/shape are yours  (Read 4037 times)

Offline iowabow

antler bopper what size/shape are yours
« on: November 27, 2015, 07:18:38 pm »
I wanted to make a post that would be used to come up with an average bopper size. My main use boppers are 6-6.5 the and larger at 7.
I was about to give outback bob advice on boppers shape and size then realized I may not know what the heck I am talking about lol. So can you guys measure your antlers.
Also how about shape, curved or striaght.
Please keep in mind our children read this site so just facts ok. Thank you.
It might be interesting to know why you cut or shape them the way they do.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: antler bopper what size/shape are yours
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 07:31:02 pm »
So most of mine are  6-6.5 and the larger on is 7. I shaped mine to be as straight as possible so that it will not twist. I tried to turn it as I used it but gave up and now the curves has become oriented based on use. Another words one side tends to get flat.
The white antlers are moose and that real large one is from a shed I found. This shed needs triming along the pencil line and shortened for my comfort. I don't want a lot of antler behind my hold area.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 09:03:25 pm »
John , I had a friend that got out of knapping so I bought all of his tools and rock. I am not real sure of some of the materials. The bopper I showed is 9" curved and fits the hand well, I believe it was a small moose antler or maybe a tine, I also got a big moose bopper probably 7" long and lg. 2-1/2" dia. and straight, this one was close to the skull plate, One a side note, I learned today to not to swing quite as fast as my copper and let the antler mass do the work. I need to make a antler tine Ishi stick. I'm having fun and trying to learn the differences. Bob

Offline iowabow

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 02:18:27 am »
John , I had a friend that got out of knapping so I bought all of his tools and rock. I am not real sure of some of the materials. The bopper I showed is 9" curved and fits the hand well, I believe it was a small moose antler or maybe a tine, I also got a big moose bopper probably 7" long and lg. 2-1/2" dia. and straight, this one was close to the skull plate, One a side note, I learned today to not to swing quite as fast as my copper and let the antler mass do the work. I need to make a antler tine Ishi stick. I'm having fun and trying to learn the differences. Bob
I like the ishi stick I am now using. I  thought the design Roger's was pretty cool. I am going have to look at it more closely next time at the classic.
On the bopper the feel is important.
Yes I don't remember who told me at the classic that I was swinging to hard with antler. I changed speed and it helped a lot. Sounds like everything your doing are steps in the right direction.

AncientTech

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2015, 03:28:32 pm »
Here is my main antler "bopper".  Working end is shown in second photo.