Author Topic: Now Pat's mini Bowie knife  (Read 14021 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Now Pat's mini Bowie knife
« on: February 16, 2008, 05:54:52 pm »
I picked up my mail today and was pleasantly surprised with one piece of mail in particular. Looky what Dana sent me! ;D 8)   This knife needed a sheath so I thought I'd try a build along. Last year after the Classic, Colene(some of ya'll know Colene) sent me a box of scrap leather so I picked a nice piece of chocolate brown oil tanned leather for the sheath.
 To start with I made a pattern using a piece of stiff paper. Then I traced it on to the leather and cut it out with a utility knife. I used a lasing chisel to pre-punch the stitching holes and sewed the sheath together using a saddle stitch. For this type of stitching I cut a piece of artificial sinew and threaded a harness needle(blunt point) on each end of the thread. For a saddle stitch you push both needled through the same hole form opposite sides, pull it tight and move on to the next hole. Also, with knife sheaths I like to add a welt between the two sides being stitched to protect the stitching from the blade.
  I'll post a few pics them explain more after.........

[attachment deleted by admin]
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Now Pat's mini Bowie knife
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 05:57:52 pm »
...after the stitching is complete I trim the excess leather along the stitching and grind it smooth on the belt sander. This edge will have bees wax added and burnished for a nice finished look....
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2008, 06:07:31 pm »
...oops, forgot the pics.... ;D  Before I go any further I want to be sure the knife fits the sheath after its sewn.  I haven't decided if I want a belt loop or a flap to cover the handle so for now I left it the way it is. I will probably make it a neck knife.
  The last 3 pics are the completed(for now) sheath.       Pat

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2008, 06:16:00 pm »
look sgood. what are ya gonna use it for?
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2008, 06:19:10 pm »
 Another handy tool that I used to cut the welt and for cutting lace, straps and belts is the draw gauge. This one is wood and a uses a single edge razor and is adjustable for different width cuts. The tool with the wood handle is an edge bevel tool. It takes a cut edge and takes the sharp cut edge off. This gives a nice finished look on all exposed edges.     Pat

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2008, 06:22:54 pm »
Huntertrapper, I wanted a neck knife for hunting. I hunt mostly from a tree stand and at my age I'm always thinking about having to escape from my safety harness if I fall. This should help me get out of the harness if necessary. Also it is a convenient size and will be handy, as a neck knife, for 3D shoots and hunting.    Pat

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2008, 06:53:28 pm »
hey thats a good idea sir. no know when you might need it. looks good
Modern Day Tramp

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2008, 07:00:45 pm »
...it will also make a good steak knife at hunting camp. ;D   One can never have too many knives.     Pat

Offline huntertrapper

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2008, 07:10:14 pm »
yes, i agree to that. ;D
Modern Day Tramp

Offline DanaM

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2008, 07:34:06 pm »
Pat glad to see it likes its new home ;D The sheath is great, I see I need more tools for leather working ;D
I made my first sheath today will post pics eventuallity.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2008, 09:36:17 pm »
Dana, you don't need many leather tools but there are a few that make the difference.     Pat

Offline DanaM

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2008, 09:37:38 pm »
Oh no Pat you can never have enough tools ;D Like that draw gauge and the beveler ya have there., nice old tools
look to be better quality than the modern stuff.
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2008, 10:12:46 pm »
Nice Pat, that one is small enough to hide in your beard.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline John K

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2008, 10:23:08 pm »
Looks nice Pat ! I need to get me one of those lasing chisels, i punch all my holes with a hand awl  :'( looks like the chisel would be much quicker.
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2008, 11:57:30 pm »
former, The lacing chisels are great. This particular one has 8 blades and is good for long straight runs. I have a 3 blade and 4 blade and they are more practical for small projects. I misplaced them during the Christmas clean up for house guests.   ::)
   Justin, I need one a bit smaller for that. ;D       Pat